Scrap men should be stopped stealing

I wish scrap men would come to my house, I have to pay to have it taken away, If I left it outside it would be there forever, even the scrap metal yards charge to pick it up if you can;t take it in youself.
You wouldn't want them at your house, if they were stealing things you value, like your kids toys, white goods in outhouses or your garden furniture, tools or ornaments, would you?

The latest dangerous thing is stealing the metal grating and manhole covers from the streets. They're just crazy. They get pennies for the stuff and it costs hundreds from the public purse to replace them. :mad:

I put an old washing machine outside yesterday, it was gone within an hour, is this a record?

Fair game to the scrappie tho, he did knock and ask if he could take it first.

dont know if this beats your time but my local scrap men took old car parts as i was taking them off car :D:D

I think most people are happy if they are asked. My boyf got abuse off one a few days ago, all he did was challenge them and tell them it was polite to ask, if he had got an apology he would have let them take it and pointed out all the brass fittings and lead. However he got a load of abuse instead :(

Someone that did knock and asked got the stuff instead :)

You wouldn't want them at your house, if they were stealing things you value, like your kids toys, white goods in outhouses or your garden furniture, tools or ornaments, would you?

The latest dangerous thing is stealing the metal grating and manhole covers from the streets. They're just crazy. They get pennies for the stuff and it costs hundreds from the public purse to replace them. :mad:

I just did have a man in my house to take loads of stuff, he was recomended by the Local scrap yard, we have two scrap yards in our town, both family owned and passed down for generations for the others to run, I'm cleaning out ,finding this man was like Christmas, I paid him double what he asked for as I kept finding other things for him to take, he's a local man and a keeper,I don't want to lose this one. as I'll have more stuff later......he talks like Rocky :hihi:

He also gave me his b/card with his mobile/home phone , the card was hand written in balck marker LOL

So what you're saying is the police should spend time and resources catching people stealing scrap when they could be fighting drug-related or violent crime. And how long would you give your little stake-out? A day? Two days? More? Sheffield is a big place so you might need a few traps, multiplying the time and resources spent a few times just to catch people taking something which the owners no longer want when instead crimes that are a lot more serious could be tackled. And then you admit that the people putting the scrap out might not even mind that scrapmen take it. The idiocy of some people on here is amazing.

not all scrap men are bad so sort yor heads out

fed up with scrap men who think they can just come on your property steal stuff about time they was locked up

not all scrap men are bad. an i put the ad on so it could be don properly .so what if there wernt scrap men .would u leve to counsil to pick up the cant even keepour streets clean never mind move all the scrap

I think the thread is aimed at the scrap collectors who take stuff the owners don't class as scrap, such as garden furniture, bikes, bar-b-ques etc and who climb walls, fences and locked gates to get at it stevenh.

Archived