Scrap men should be stopped stealing

I think the thread is aimed at the scrap collectors who take stuff the owners don't class as scrap, such as garden furniture, bikes, bar-b-ques etc and who climb walls, fences and locked gates to get at it stevenh.

Oh! I see now, they mean just ordinary thiefs, sounds like a lot of it going on in Sheffield, thats a shame when you can't leave your own things outside without it being taken, is that all areas of Sheffeild or just the bad parts ?

Oh! I see now, they mean just ordinary thiefs, sounds like a lot of it going on in Sheffield, thats a shame when you can't leave your own things outside without it being taken, is that all areas of Sheffeild or just the bad parts ?
No, they are scrapmen. They differ from the decent ones by nicking owt of metallic value they can find and take it to be weighed-in at scrap yards. The decent ones ask first.

As opposed to the common or garden thieving gits who nick owt that isn't nailed down .... even wooden fence panels and plants.

Scrap metal theft happens in all parts of Sheffield.

No, they are scrapmen. They differ from the decent ones by nicking owt of metallic value they can find and take it to be weighed-in at scrap yards. The decent ones ask first.

As opposed to the common or garden thieving gits who nick owt that isn't nailed down .... even wooden fence panels and plants.

Scrap metal theft happens in all parts of Sheffield.

But is there that much metal in peoples yards for the men to just keep hanging around on the streets waiting, just in case :huh:

My husband took 4 alloy wheels off his car and left them in the back garden until one could be rewelded...........they're now gone. If I had left them on the drive or the front garden I could understand it - robbing gits !:rant:

But is there that much metal in peoples yards for the men to just keep hanging around on the streets waiting, just in case :huh:

Lead flashings, a wrought iron bench, a pair of gates, a chiminea, a wheel barrow, a barbecue, or the kids bikes, take your pick poppins.

Poppins, take a walk down your street, have a look in the gardens there and list all the metal items you see. Guess the weight of the items if you can, then see how far you get before you've totted up a quarter of a ton. Not far, I bet.

The scrap thieves are doing just this, but taking the stuff instead of just making a list.

Swings, slides, bikes, incinerator bins, benches, tables, clothes dryers, barrows, prams, tools. The list is endless

Lead flashings, a wrought iron bench, a pair of gates, a chiminea, a wheel barrow, a barbecue, or the kids bikes, take your pick poppins.

Although I did read in our paper last week that some copper leaders & gutters were stolen from two homes, they were away on holiday.can back to no drain pipes on the house.

I think the thread is aimed at the scrap collectors who take stuff the owners don't class as scrap, such as garden furniture, bikes, bar-b-ques etc and who climb walls, fences and locked gates to get at it stevenh.
At least you seem to get the point ... I think a lot of these 'scrap' tales of woe are just going straight over some people's heads.:rolleyes:

I was told yesterday by a customer who said he was a 'weighman' at a scrap yard that most scrap is stolen, they know it but they take it anyway. I mean what sort of admission is that to make in public?? :o I could hardly believe he was serious, but he seemed to be.

Simple answer, police start stopping them as they have regular routes, check they have business vehicle insurance, license, mot, tax, scrap license which a guy told me they need to have and check none of them are claiming benefit and ask them how they pay tax on their earnings, they won't be round the next day guaranteed.

Simple answer, police start stopping them as they have regular routes, check they have business vehicle insurance, license, mot, tax, scrap license which a guy told me they need to have and check none of them are claiming benefit and ask them how they pay tax on their earnings, they won't be round the next day guaranteed.

They have stqarted to do the checks , as theres been a comment on this forum already.

Archived