STATIC should I be worried?

You could get some anti-static spray. John Lewis sells it in the kitchen goods area and its about £4 for one aerosol can.

Its supposed to be used on clothes when they come out of the dryer, but it has many uses. I use it in the winter on my hairbrush to reduce the static in my hair.

Over past week or so , when i touch things like my car door or a metal handle/ metal handrail I get a small static electric shock at the end of my fingertip. is it something I should be worried about?

Get yoursen plugged into the National Grid, you might make some money!

Over past week or so , when i touch things like my car door or a metal handle/ metal handrail I get a small static electric shock at the end of my fingertip. is it something I should be worried about?

By any chance have you recently installed a car amp, speakers, stereo or any form of electronics on your car?

I get this a hell of a lot...

doesn't have to be metal surfaces that are grounded or connected to any form of current either..

steel handrails, (like those in meadowhall, or up the side of stairs in shops) are common for me..

also my keyboard on my Mac (that's only a 5volt USB), and I can't wear digital watches because they break (first start gaining time, then they stop working alltogether eventually)

I get this a hell of a lot...

doesn't have to be metal surfaces that are grounded or connected to any form of current either..

steel handrails, (like those in meadowhall, or up the side of stairs in shops) are common for me..

also my keyboard on my Mac (that's only a 5volt USB), and I can't wear digital watches because they break (first start gaining time, then they stop working alltogether eventually)

If you experience it that much when you're in our normal benign climate, don't ever go anywhere really cold, because once the temperature drops significantly below 0C the air humidity drops close to zero and static problems multiply exponentially.

We got so fed up of the static shocks off every light switch, door handle, hand rail, lift button, bath rail and loo flush that we ended up hanging flannels and clothes of everything that we could to reduce the big blue sparks, and wearing earthing straps when that wasn't possible.

To the OP- it's never caused any problems for my mum, who's been experiencing this for nearly 70 years now, up to the point of magnetising mechanical watches and stopping them from working completely. I think you'll live to die from something else instead.

just out of interest (due to Medusas post) do you suffer from dry skin? do your hands often feel dry and like you just want to stick them under a tap or in a bowl of warm water?

I get that a lot, (it's really annoying) and wonder if that's part of the cause (a dry house, dry skin etc)

Oh yes, it's worse when your skin is dry (as in dehydrated, not having been dried by a towel).

BTW Ghozer, the bowl of warm water won't do you any good. Go and find a really good bland moisturiser that you can slap all over, or buy some baby oil to use on wet skin when you've showered or bathed, and that should help.

Archived