Do you remember Rowlinson Technical in the 60's

artisan

Came across this topic late myself - I was there from 1960-65. My house was Osborn and Form teacher was 'Percy' Snowdon who also taught French.

Charles Kay was the headmaster and Askham the dep - as many have mentioned, called Toj. I thought Mr Rutherford was called Fluff but most seem to remember him as Buzz.

Fred Rowley was music (mad as your trousers!) , Bob Etchells (more interested in the shool cricket team than the English language) - English, Spike Godfrey taught French too I think - Brennan taught geography (sent me for the cane the **&!!£!!, 'Connie; Stephens and Mr Gomm taught chemistry, Clive Copeland taught woodwork, Ronnie Ransome and 'Alf' Glover (when in doubt, boot it out) taught PE until the arrival of Keith Ibbotson, Mr Johnson? taught physics I think. For the life of me I can't remember who taught maths - probably because I was crap at it.

16 minutes ago, emo924 said:

Came across this topic late myself - I was there from 1960-65. My house was Osborn and Form teacher was 'Percy' Snowdon who also taught French.

Charles Kay was the headmaster and Askham the dep - as many have mentioned, called Toj. I thought Mr Rutherford was called Fluff but most seem to remember him as Buzz.

Fred Rowley was music (mad as your trousers!) , Bob Etchells (more interested in the shool cricket team than the English language) - English, Spike Godfrey taught French too I think - Brennan taught geography (sent me for the cane the **&!!£!!, 'Connie; Stephens and Mr Gomm taught chemistry, Clive Copeland taught woodwork, Ronnie Ransome and 'Alf' Glover (when in doubt, boot it out) taught PE until the arrival of Keith Ibbotson, Mr Johnson? taught physics I think. For the life of me I can't remember who taught maths - probably because I was crap at it.

Hi, I left at the end of 63 because everyone was chirping about 'war babies' and there could be a shortage of jobs. I was offered a job in engineering and did college education course paid for by my employer so I dropped lucky. I am probably a couple of years older than you, I was born in 1947. We were not allowed to use the playing fields because they found loads of glass in the ground so we used to go across to Jordanthorpe. I cant remember who taught maths but a fat guy comes to mind. Hope this brings back a few memories.

1 hour ago, scaleman said:

Hi, I left at the end of 63 because everyone was chirping about 'war babies' and there could be a shortage of jobs. I was offered a job in engineering and did college education course paid for by my employer so I dropped lucky. I am probably a couple of years older than you, I was born in 1947. We were not allowed to use the playing fields because they found loads of glass in the ground so we used to go across to Jordanthorpe. I cant remember who taught maths but a fat guy comes to mind. Hope this brings back a few memories.

Yeah I was born a couple of years later than you. I think I'm right in saying that Rowlinson was the very first 'technical' school if not in the country then certainly in Sheffield so why I ended up there (not clever enough for King Teds or Abbeydale Grammar) I have no idea as I was the least technical person I knew.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, emo924 said:

Yeah I was born a couple of years later than you. I think I'm right in saying that Rowlinson was the very first 'technical' school if not in the country then certainly in Sheffield so why I ended up there (not clever enough for King Teds or Abbeydale Grammar) I have no idea as I was the least technical person I knew.

Yep. I know what you mean. See my post on page 6.

17 hours ago, emo924 said:

Possibly not.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield_Central_Technical_School