Boy Electrocuted

This lad is/was not the only victim.

I deal with the aftermath of cable theft's for YEDL and quite often the <REMOVED> will get away with maybe £50-80 of copper but cause over 100k worth of damage to the local house's many of which can be elderly peeps with no insurance.

Its' caused by the neutral bar being removed which causes an overvoltage of around 400v.....just about everything plugged in will go pop and YEDL won't repair anything as it's caused by a third party and not a network fault.

And before you ask i'm with the no sympathy brigade....there are plenty of warning sign's on the subs...maybe they can't read!

How does that happen then? Surely if the neutral is ruptured then the phase to the house supply will end up being returned via ground, assuming that the two are bonded. Failing that there wont be a return at all so there shouldn't be an issue. I can't see how you get 400v from it - that would imply 2 phases being involved somehow and I can't see how you get to that situation.

Simple.

There are 3 phases and 1 neutral under the street with 1 phase going to each house.

If you disconnect the neutral all the appliances in the house's no longer use the electrical current they just act as connection's so the energy is still there but at 400v ish (3 phase=400v not 600+ as some think) becuase all the house's get all the energy.

That don't sound right but it is....lot easier to explain than to type it!

How does that happen then? Surely if the neutral is ruptured then the phase to the house supply will end up being returned via ground, assuming that the two are bonded. Failing that there wont be a return at all so there shouldn't be an issue. I can't see how you get 400v from it - that would imply 2 phases being involved somehow and I can't see how you get to that situation.

From Wiki...sorry.. :)

If the supply neutral of a three-phase system with line-to-neutral connected loads is broken, the voltage balance on the loads will no longer be maintained. The neutral point will tend to drift toward the most heavily loaded phase, causing undervoltage conditions on that phase and overvoltage on a lightly loaded phase; the lightly loaded phases may approach the line-to-line voltage, which exceeds the line-to-neutral voltage by a factor of √3, causing overheating and failure of many types of loads.

For example, if several houses are connected through a 240 V transformer, which is connected to one phase of the three-phase system, each house might be affected by the imbalance on the three phase system. If the neutral connection is broken somewhere in the system, all equipment in a house might be damaged due to over-voltage. A similar phenomenon can exist if the house neutral (connected to the center tap of the 240 V pole transformer) is disconnected. This type of failure event can be difficult to troubleshoot if the drifting neutral effect is not understood. With inductive and/or capacitive loads, all phases can suffer damage as the reactive current moves across abnormal paths in the unbalanced system, especially if resonance conditions occur. For this reason, neutral connections are a critical part of a power distribution network and must be made as reliable as any of the phase connections

Simple.

There are 3 phases and 1 neutral under the street with 1 phase going to each house.

If you disconnect the neutral all the appliances in the house's no longer use the electrical current they just act as connection's so the energy is still there but at 400v ish (3 phase=400v not 600+ as some think) becuase all the house's get all the energy.

That don't sound right but it is....lot easier to explain than to type it!

But in that case it's irrelevant as they won't take a supply without having a return path. I can see that if left long enough and with an earthed return you could end up with a sauturated transformer and consequent movement of the zero point but any transformer will see that occuring and trip in time.

...the lad's death was relevant to the crime because it occurred while he was comitting it...had he not been breaking the law he wouldn't have died..

No one has doubted that. I simply questioned the morality of people wishing him dead - just because he was carrying out a dangerous activity.

If its for carrying out crimes i'm sat here praying for judgement on a large percentage of the population.

No one has doubted that. I simply questioned the morality of people wishing him dead - just because he was carrying out a dangerous activity.

If its for carrying out crimes i'm sat here praying for judgement on a large percentage of the population.

I'm not sure people wished ill on him for doing something dangerous..more for the illegality of it...I suppose people are so fed up with seeing criminals getting off lightly and mocking us all that when one gets killed like this all sympathy disappears..

Awaits usual parade of callous, cold hearted haters saying ' Good, that'll teach him to thieve' etc.

I feel sorry for his family.

I agree with your sentiments here but his family are probably the same ilk, People from good wholesome households tend not to go out stealing copper.

I'm not sure people wished ill on him for doing something dangerous..more for the illegality of it...I suppose people are so fed up with seeing criminals getting off lightly and mocking us all that when one gets killed like this all sympathy disappears..

Which opens up the huge debate on illegality. Do people wish everyone who does something illegal death by electrocution.

If so i'm going nowhere near a plug socket for the rest of the week at least.

Archived