Chaps payment from natwest to barclays

I went to my local Halifax on Crookes and asked for £5,000 in cash. They told me I'd have to go to the main branch in town as they didn't carry that amount of money.

I had the same problem a few years ago. I wanted £3000 from Woodhouse Lloyds TSB.

Only to be told "they don't carry that sort of cash and I should have made an appointment"! Apparently my transaction left the bank short and they had to send out for more money!:)

Couldn't the sellers bank ring the buyers bank and check if the bankers draft was genuine?

Or else do the deal on a weekday by chaps and the seller can check with his bank after you have sent the money.

There's always an element of trust when selling and buying privately.

I had the same problem a few years ago. I wanted £3000 from Woodhouse Lloyds TSB.

Only to be told "they don't carry that sort of cash and I should have made an appointment"! Apparently my transaction left the bank short and they had to send out for more money!:)

Had a similar experience with Nationwide in town....wanted slightly more than the £200 per day they ALLOWED....they said NO...so I stood about making mischief whilst they closed the account and gave me all the money I had in the account.....about £3000....they weren't happy...saying they hadn't got that much cash. I suggested they go and "find" it before I found any more interesting mischief.

its under 10k. i thought FP limit was 1k

its going from natwest to barclays on a SATURDAY

so i need to know if natwest telephone banking is open on a saturday for me to make the payment

and if barclays telephone banking is open a saturday available for the seller to check balance on a saturday if internet banking does not update as quick

Bankers drafts can now be easily forged. Its usually recommended that the seller doesn't release the car until the draft has been accepted by the bank and the money guaranteed.

Tell me about it.Had same problem today.We are in the process of buying a car,payed a bankers draught into our account and was told it would be clear on tuesday??? We wanted the funds monday and assumed a b,d would clear right away like it used to but NO! Its same as a personal cheque now......Helpfull Banking they say? Yeah right....:rant:

The issue you have isn't natwest it's the way bankers drafts work with all banks.

As far as the payment goes I didn't think you can do a chaps payment over the phone? Cash is the best answer, in theory you can see the chaps payment straight away but they often takes a few hours to show. Faster payments do normall show instantly but the amount might be too much. You could ring the bank to check this though.

The issue you have isn't natwest it's the way bankers drafts work with all banks.

As far as the payment goes I didn't think you can do a chaps payment over the phone? Cash is the best answer, in theory you can see the chaps payment straight away but they often takes a few hours to show. Faster payments do normall show instantly but the amount might be too much. You could ring the bank to check this though.

So why dont b,ds clear right away like they used to? plus why cant you express a cheque anymore? Its like,you want your cash but the bank decides when you can have it! And why? When a mobile phone can tell you exactly where you are at any given time,does it take days to clear a cheque? ( Never mind bankers draught)? Ok rant over.I know the answer? INTEREST! :o

its under 10k. i thought FP limit was 1k

its going from natwest to barclays on a SATURDAY

so i need to know if natwest telephone banking is open on a saturday for me to make the payment

and if barclays telephone banking is open a saturday available for the seller to check balance on a saturday if internet banking does not update as quick

Why don't you just call your bank and ask them?

jb

Archived