Help with Ronksley ices

• 4 weeks later...

When I was very young we used to have a Ronksley's come round every teatime,each night one or other of my uncles and aunts would but me an ice lolly, it was blue, this went on for years until I was about 11,we left norton and went to Hackenthorpe for a short whil e before moving to Lowedges. Many years later, after living abroad for nine years I ended up back there with my kidsthe icecream van came round, something my kids had never experienced before,we rushed out and arriving at the van the bloke said,"sorry Oriel we don't sell blue lollies anymore,I couldn't believe it,but it was the same man that had served me as a child and he remembered me

Can remember Ronksleys doing Green Oak estate in Totley in the 50s. Like other posters it seemed to be the same time every night. Remember the blue ice lollies and also having my very first taste of cola when they started carrying bottles of Pepsi. For years we thought the guy who had the van was Mr Ronksley but turned out his name was Mr Fox. Can still hear his chime now

When I was very young we used to have a Ronksley's come round every teatime,each night one or other of my uncles and aunts would but me an ice lolly, it was blue, this went on for years until I was about 11,we left norton and went to Hackenthorpe for a short whil e before moving to Lowedges. Many years later, after living abroad for nine years I ended up back there with my kidsthe icecream van came round, something my kids had never experienced before,we rushed out and arriving at the van the bloke said,"sorry Oriel we don't sell blue lollies anymore,I couldn't believe it,but it was the same man that had served me as a child and he remembered me

Yes we lived on Norton Lane 155...Years ago..Also had Ronksleys ice cream.

They were definitely from Coal Aston...Do you remembe rthe old road from Norton Lane to Coal Aston??? The right angle bend by the old farm and the hill up to Coal Aston....many a good rev up there in the good old days...not much traffic then..

Archived