Public Sector Pay

Don't believe it.

There are several ways of calculating averages - mean, median, mode etc - depends on which one they used, -no doubt the one that best supported their argument.

Once again an attempt to divide and conquer the masses by setting them against each other, thus distracting the the blame away from where it really belongs. Poor governance.

Can't speak for anyone else or want to be vulgar and discuss money but my equivalent job in the private sector would pay me roughly £15,000 a year more.

And I've lost count of the number of IT Technicians i've known who have left because they can get £18000 or more where a school pays them £10,000 to £13,000.

People may talk about the public sector wasting money, but they certainly know how to get their money's worth out of support staff.

Don't believe it.

There are several ways of calculating averages - mean, median, mode etc - depends on which one they used, -no doubt the one that best supported their argument.

Once again an attempt to divide and conquer the masses by setting them against each other, thus distracting the the blame away from where it really belongs. Poor governance.

Have you read the ONS report?

Can't speak for anyone else or want to be vulgar and discuss money but my equivalent job in the private sector would pay me roughly £15,000 a year more.

What job is that? Why do you think the ONS have got it wrong?

It may well be that, but it appears to be factually and fairly based (this trend was already validated in 2010 by Straight Statistics, "a group that campaigns for the accurate reporting of official data"), so good luck with that argument.

Linky to ONS summary and article, while I'm at it :)

Is the ONS report correct or have they got it wrong?
Neither, nor. It's a statistical report based on data. The sample of 181,000 appears sufficiently representative to me...but then I'm no statistician, so what do I know.

What can be right or wrong is whether its findings apply validly to the entire public and private sectors. My gues is that, by and large, it does, with the gap expectedly narrowing as you progress up the job ladder, in terms of skillset/responsibility.

Comparisons such as this have no validity as is pointed out every other time these are raised looking at public\private sector pay.

If you make comparisons on the basis of medians you will also find public sector workers tend to be more highly qualified.

The fact of the matter is that pay in the public sector tends to be slightly better than private when looking at low pay, the Govt doesn't tend to pay minimum wage. Something not undesirable since there is a benefit to society in the Govt leading by example with the fight against low pay. But that the public sector pays less above low pay, creating problems with staff retention and quality of senior staff.

OK we've heard from people on here that the reason public sector pensions are so good is to make up for their poor pay...what are people's thoughts on this report.?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/8618483/Public-sector-workers-paid-more-official-figures-show.html

Is the ONS report correct or have they got it wrong..?

It's not only that, I await the usual backlash, but the truth is that public sector employees, more often than not, class themselves as the elite, and the private sector as a necessary evil. staffed and run by capitalists.

These guys actually believe that the average teachers pension is £10,000 p/a. Their figures obviously include deferred annuitants, and career breaks, in their calculations, but the following is interesting. Salary of £21,055 divided by 80 = £263.18 x 38 years service = £10, 001. So the average teachers final salary is £21,055, is it? :rolleyes:

Comparisons such as this have no validity as is pointed out every other time these are raised looking at public\private sector pay.

If you make comparisons on the basis of medians you will also find public sector workers tend to be more highly qualified.

The fact of the matter is that pay in the public sector tends to be slightly better than private when looking at low pay, the Govt doesn't tend to pay minimum wage. Something not undesirable since there is a benefit to society in the Govt leading by example with the fight against low pay. But that the public sector pays less above low pay, creating problems with staff retention and quality of senior staff.

According to the report..

"Only the very highest paid enjoy a bigger salary in the private sector. The top five per cent of highest earners in the public sector are paid £31.28 an hour compared with £32.40 an hour in the private sector....."

Archived