Public Sector Pay

Very few teachers get the full 40 years in. I don't know any, and I know a lot of teachers.

Many leave within 5 years (which tells you a lot about the job.)

So, what do you advocate? They have accrued 5/80 of their final salary factored up by inflation or national average earnings, if they move to another public sector job they simply use the ' public sector pensions club.'

I agree on the 40 years, which is impossible if they leave university at age 21 and then do their 12 months probationary period, that's why I used 38 years. However they usually get early enhanced retirement terms on the grounds of stress far earlier, and then sign on with a teaching agency, the jobs a good un.

One area of the public sector which is overpaid is the civil service, i.e dwp, home office, jcp office staff are totally overpaid for what they do. I worked for them for 12 years so have the right to say ths. I left. Found other office work for private companies to have a lot more responsibility, less benefits and lower pay! Cut their wages and up nurses etc...

So, what do you advocate? They have accrued 5/80 of their final salary factored up by inflation or national average earnings, if they move to another public sector job they simply use the ' public sector pensions club.'

I agree on the 40 years, which is impossible if they leave university at age 21 and then do their 12 months probationary period, that's why I used 38 years. However they usually get early enhanced retirement terms on the grounds of stress far earlier, and then sign on with a teaching agency, the jobs a good un.

5/80 of a teacher's salary would accrue a pension of approx £1500 pa. Not bad for 5 years employment.

Somebody in the private sector will need an annuity of £30k to provide that.

Edit: My wife got some pension literature from the NHS yesterday. She works part-time, but if she sticks it out until she's 65 she'll be entitled to a pension of £24k. She was a bit shocked when I told her she would have to save nearly half a million to get those benefits if she was doing it for herself. :shocked:

Comparisons such as this have no validity as is pointed out every other time these are raised looking at public\private sector pay.

From most of the previous comparisons I have seen you would be correct but this ONS reports adjusts for sex, age, occupation, region and sector which makes it a much more valid comparison.

From most of the previous comparisons I have seen you would be correct but this ONS reports adjusts for sex, age, occupation, region and sector which makes it a much more valid comparison.

Yep,that's why this report is different..

It's not only that, I await the usual backlash, but the truth is that public sector employees, more often than not, class themselves as the elite, and the private sector as a necessary evil. staffed and run by capitalists.

Think the phrase is 'semi-educated businessmen'.:)

5/80 of a teacher's salary would accrue a pension of approx £1500 pa. Not bad for 5 years employment.

Somebody in the private sector will need an annuity of £30k to provide that.

Edit: My wife got some pension literature from the NHS yesterday. She works part-time, but if she sticks it out until she's 65 she'll be entitled to a pension of £24k. She was a bit shocked when I told her she would have to save nearly half a million to get those benefits if she was doing it for herself. :shocked:

Spot-on, if you have the good fortune to be in a final salary pension scheme, hold onto your job for grim death!

Archived