Public Sector Pay

So, what do you advocate? They have accrued 5/80 of their final salary factored up by inflation or national average earnings, if they move to another public sector job they simply use the ' public sector pensions club.'

I agree on the 40 years, which is impossible if they leave university at age 21 and then do their 12 months probationary period, that's why I used 38 years. However they usually get early enhanced retirement terms on the grounds of stress far earlier, and then sign on with a teaching agency, the jobs a good un.

Very few teachers get in 38 years either.

Early retirement with enhancements is also very rare these days. It is occasionally offered as a redundancy sweetener to older teachers already close to retirement but that's all.

If a teacher retires early due to ill health they are not allowed to teach in any capacity, it invalidates their pension.

And incidently stress is not accepted as a good enough reason for ill health retirement.

Early retirement with enhancements is also very rare these days. It is occasionally offered as a redundancy sweetener to older teachers already close to retirement but that's all.

If a teacher retires early due to ill health they are not allowed to teach in any capacity, it invalidates their pension.

And incidently stress is not accepted as a good enough reason for ill health retirement.

Well they must be a sickly lot, what with them not even being able to get in 38 years, I took early retirement after 48 years. There was a card school at my local a good few years ago, it consisted of four teachers, all four got early enhanced retirement due to the stress of the job, all ended up as agency teachers.

In this country it's one rule for one, and one for the other, or perhaps it was. ;)

Well they must be a sickly lot, what with them not even being able to get in 38 years, I took early retirement after 48 years. There was a card school at my local a good few years ago, it consisted of four teachers, all four got early enhanced retirement due to the stress of the job, all ended up as agency teachers.

In this country it's one rule for one, and one for the other, or perhaps it was. ;)

Let me guess, they were all paid-up members of the Labour party too!;)

A good few years ago early retirement night have been enhanced in certain circumstances. It no longer is.

AS for stress, it is part of the job, I have no doubt they were stressed, I don't know a teacher that isn't, but that will have played no part in the enhancement deal.

Stress in teachers is so common that everyone would be taking it. That is why it does not count for an ill health pension.

Very few teachers get the full 40 years in. I don't know any, and I know a lot of teachers.

Many leave within 5 years (which tells you a lot about the job.)

I have 3 in my extended family, and 1 a family friend.

2 out of those 4 have already got the full 40 years and retired. One will have got less due to taking a break for family and the last one is about a decade into her career with no sign indication that she won't make it until retirement...

Can people who quit after 5 years be considered when we're looking at the final salary pension though?

OK we've heard from people on here that the reason public sector pensions are so good is to make up for their poor pay...what are people's thoughts on this report.?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/8618483/Public-sector-workers-paid-more-official-figures-show.html

Is the ONS report correct or have they got it wrong..?

It's the Daily Torgraph and they're trying to persaude the public's opinion. It's not accurate

I have 3 in my extended family, and 1 a family friend.

2 out of those 4 have already got the full 40 years and retired. One will have got less due to taking a break for family and the last one is about a decade into her career with no sign indication that she won't make it until retirement...

Can people who quit after 5 years be considered when we're looking at the final salary pension though?

I have an aunt who retired as a full time teacher aged 58. She was immediately taken back on as a peripatetic teacher and works an average 2 1/2 days a week for more than she earned working full time.

I have an aunt who retired as a full time teacher aged 58. She was immediately taken back on as a peripatetic teacher and works an average 2 1/2 days a week for more than she earned working full time.

She chose early retirement and can therefore still work as a teacher. I believe you can apply for early retirement from 55 onwards, but will not get a full pension.

Ill-health retirement however is different, and they are not allowed to work in the teaching sector once they have accepted it.

our teachers back in the day...taught about four generations.....some were still there when you took your kids....says something about todays bunch...if they cant hack it like the oldies....or are the perks in retirement too good

Archived