Public Sector Pay

What equivalent jobs are there for teachers bearing in mind there are 400,000 of them?

Are there no teachers in the private sector ?

I might be wrong, but I think that Happ Hazzad's point is that teachers often claim that they would have been paid much more had they gone into the private sector rather than become teachers, but what exactly would they be doing?

I'm not sure, but from the people I know that are teachers, I think they're on about £30k. Add the pension benefits on top, and that's quite healthy. If I was a teacher looking for more income in the private sector, it would take > £40k to persuade me to move.

What jobs would 400,000 people be doing for £40k? Most management jobs are advertised at between £25k-£35k as far as I can see.

The higher the pensions the better. Whats your problem? feel hard done too? Should have made the right choices a while ago no?

I had assumed that it was the right of the worker to get the best employment deal he/she can, often I have heard it said, when people complain of poor working conditions, get a better job. So how come this doesn't apply now?

That applies both ways sharrowman, now tell me again, who is it who's bleating eh ?

"It's not envy, it's business. "

Though it was business for the individual to better their life prospects too? So who's in the right?

There are conflicting priorities obviously, so there is no right. Public employees want as much as they can get, the government (representing us) want to pay as little as they can.

How you gonna excercise your executive powers?

The government are doing that on my behalf

Everyday i can see real life examples, and I am sure you can too, of unfair business practices, practices that may well have already been tested in court. I don't see you getting warmed up about these?

Have you asked me about them?

Cyclone,

I don't trust the government, I don't trust economists or global corporate plutocrats. I simply don't believe they have a winning strategy, certainly not one that reflects the interests of populations across the globe. The crisis we see in UK pension funds cannot sensibly be seperated from a growing global economic crisis. A crisis that is playing out irrespective of left or right wing politics.

The naive expectation cherished by our leaders that growth was inevitable, infinite and eternal has crept up and kicked our a**es. Massive debts, personal, corporate and governmental have been predicated on this fallacy. Perhaps now is when it falls to pieces around our ears?

The discussion on public sector pensions is distracting tosh, divide and conquer strategy, designed to take the pressure off any real analysis of the sytemic issues at the heart of this global crisis.

That's what I fink anyway

This sour grapes (or politics of envy) mentality from the privateers makes me laugh - they get paid more than me, boo hoo, then get a public sector job!

Rather than beefing and insiting the others are brought down to your wage slave level. why not go on strike and get a better pay deal?

Jeez, divide and conquer!

You completely misunderstand the private sector, not the brightest you guys, never have been. I have never had any ambitions to join the public sector, I prefer the freedom of the private sector, as I am sure, many on this forum do.

What takes the biscuit is the usual moaning, whinging public sector duck eggs, actually think that they are in a strong position. Strike all you like you left wing leftovers from yesteryear, you spent all the nations money during your 13 years of power, now you have to help to pay for it, enjoy guys. ;)

You completely misunderstand the private sector, not the brightest you guys, never have been. I have never had any ambitions to join the public sector, I prefer the freedom of the private sector, as I am sure, many on this forum do.

What takes the biscuit is the usual moaning, whinging public sector duck eggs, actually think that they are in a strong position. Strike all you like you left wing leftovers from yesteryear, you spent all the nations money during your 13 years of power, now you have to help to pay for it, enjoy guys. ;)

I work in the private sector too. Duck Egg. I also don't believe the strikers have a strong position. I am sure their efforts will achieve nothing, but I like the glamour of a good strike and would urge our private sector brothers and sisters to join in too. Rather than partisan us and them divisive race to the bottom retrograde schnizzle. Duck egg.

Cyclone,

I don't trust the government, I don't trust economists or global corporate plutocrats. I simply don't believe they have a winning strategy, certainly not one that reflects the interests of populations across the globe. The crisis we see in UK pension funds cannot sensibly be seperated from a growing global economic crisis. A crisis that is playing out irrespective of left or right wing politics.

The naive expectation cherished by our leaders that growth was inevitable, infinite and eternal has crept up and kicked our a**es. Massive debts, personal, corporate and governmental have been predicated on this fallacy. Perhaps now is when it falls to pieces around our ears?

The discussion on public sector pensions is distracting tosh, divide and conquer strategy, designed to take the pressure off any real analysis of the sytemic issues at the heart of this global crisis.

That's what I fink anyway

Why are you arguing about it then?

Archived