Thinking of a weeks drive round "europe" can you suggest a 7 day route ??

was thinking instead of doing a normal package hols , why not drive to loads of places, thinking italy /spain and france , lasting a week stopping at a b&b each night, is it possible ?

can you suggest a route for me, as i just cant seem to think of the way to plan this !

thanks for your replies in advance

Assuming you overnight in Kent. (you can google maps your own route - I'd do this from memory but can't remember the exact roads)

Day one, Chunnel and then from Coquelles to Calais to tank up. Drive south, going through Amiens, Reimes, Troyes to Auxerre.

Day two, carry on south, down through Clermont ferraud, towards Lyon, then south towards Grenoble. Swing up towards Geneve. Overnight somewhere like Annency, or Cluses

Day three, Les Alpes. Towards Chamonix, over the Forclaz pass into La Suisse, then Martingy, over the Grand St bernhard to Italy, drop down to Torino and overnight.

Day four, leave Torino, south over the D97 to Isola, and then up the small roads to the Col du Restefond (highest road in Europe - check with the doc first as you are 2 miles up and can get altitude issues...). Descend to Jausiers and look for a wicked pizza parlour.

Day five - if you are wanting Spain now is the time to striek out for it. You can go along the bottom of France and get to Toulouse/Perpignon easily enough in a day on the autoroute but wont see much.

Day six. Pick your way though Andorra and strike west towards Pamplona and the obligitory visit for "The sun also rises" if you like Hemingway. Overnight there.

Day seven - meander westwards and visit Bilbao - and jump on the ferry home.

Ok so it's not quite seven days, more like eight - but hey you got Switzerland as well...

was thinking instead of doing a normal package hols , why not drive to loads of places, thinking italy /spain and france , lasting a week stopping at a b&b each night, is it possible ?

can you suggest a route for me, as i just cant seem to think of the way to plan this !

thanks for your replies in advance

You've no chance of covering that much ground in 7 days if you want to see anything. You'll spend the entire time on the autoroutes.

When we go to the south of France, it's a solid day and a half just to get there, with an overnight stop somewhere.

I'd try to think of a few places you'd really like to see, and work a route round that, probably staying north-ish.

How about something like Bologne, Paris, Bruges? And to be honest, to spend quality time, even that'll be a rush in 7 days.

Not sure how many days it would be, but perhaps up the North coast through France, Belgium, Holland, Denmark and Germany. I would suggest another alternatice of France, Switzerland, Italy Germany.

Wherever you go I reckon these types of holiday need more than 3 countries.

14 days would be better, anyway here's what I have done.

Day 1/2. Drive down to Dover for late ferry to Dunkirk (think last one is 2200). Book into the VIP lounge as it's only about £10 each and is much quieter, comes with free drinks and has a nice sleeping lounge. Once you land in Dunkirk head to Switzerland via Belgium and Luxemburg, you can grab a couple of hours sleep in a services car park around Belgium/Luxemburg border. You should be able to make it to Lake Lucerne in Switzerland by about 10/11 in the morning. Assuming your camping there is a nice campsite just next door to the Lido.

Day 3. Head into Italy via the Gotthard Tunnel (it's 10miles long just to warn you) and drop down to Lake Maggiore. There are lots of nice villages along the west shoreline of which I recommend Cannobio (don't do what I did and spell in wrong in the Sat Nav as it will take you to Canobio in Switzerland) and Baveno (I can highly recommend the fish restaurant on Isla Superiore). From either of these you can get ferries to take you all over the lake, Verbania for instance is bout 30min by ferry.

Day 5ish. Head over to Melano on Lago di Lugano, there is a nice campsite there and the lake is prefect for swimming. Just up the coast the are nice restaurants in Bissone (be warned they are more expensive as you are now in Switzerland). While here it is essential that you get the cogwheel train up Monte Generoso from Capolago. If memory serves there is an old steam train which goes up maybe once a day as well as the usual service http://www.montegeneroso.ch/en/30/the-train-timetable-and-prices.aspx. It's a short walk from the last train stop to the summit from which the views are immense.

Day 7ish. It's over to Bellagio on Lake Como, you can get the ferry from Cadenabbia IIRC. Lots of bountiful cobbled streets and restaurants. Not many campsites around but Silvios Hotel is really nice and has amazing views out over the lake. It's about a 10min walk into the centre of Bellagio but the owners do run a free shuttle bus service. There is also a small cobbled beach about 10 min walk away (you can just about see it from the terrace at Silvios straight ahead and to the left) which has a cool little beach bar on it that do amazing Mojitos and the giardini di villa melzi is well worth a visit.

Day 9ish. Over to Bardalino and Melcesine on lake Garda. Another lovely little Italian village with lots nice restaurants and nearby vineyards.

Day 11ish. To finish you just have to book in for a couple of nights at the Mira Monte Hotel. It’s up the side of mountain in northern Italy near Merano with stunning views (make sure you look at the gallery photos) and an amazing restaurant and spa. It is literally relaxation personified. I have sat on this seat, next to my gorgeous girlfriend, drinking that very cocktail looking out over this view. It’s quite isolated so make sure you’re stoked up on any smokes you may need. For the restaurant book a seat by the window on the edge to have views straight down the side of the mountain.

Day 13 ish. The sad part, heading home. Drive up through Austria (get to see some BFO mountains), through a bit of Germany into Belgium and back to the ferry at Dunkirk/ It’s about 12 hours drive so we stopped in a little town somewhere in Austria for a pizza and a nap in the car.

When me and the girlfriend did this last year the total cost, including all travel, insurance, breakdown cover, tolls, road tax for Switzerland, campsites, hotels, food and booze was in the region of £2500.

jb

Archived