What is phonics as a method of teaching reading?

Anybody who teaches using phonics only is going to be a bit stumped when explaining the difference between 'tough', 'though' and 'through', aren't they?

I'm all for children learning by a 'mostly successful' means, but ANY method is only going to be foolproof if your whole vocabulary can be covered by that system, and English just isn't like that.

It's like trying to explain verbs and saying that they all follow the same pattern- they just don't.

I think this kind of phonetics is the first pronounciation of the alphabet learned by youngsters, it was certainly the one I was taught as a I kid i.e. as in Ha (without the H), buh, kuh, duh etc. You then put letters together e.g in FR pronounced Fruh as in France.

Military phoentics are Delta, Oscar, Golf etc

I think those are signal codes.

Anybody who teaches using phonics only is going to be a bit stumped when explaining the difference between 'tough', 'though' and 'through', aren't they?

I'm all for children learning by a 'mostly successful' means, but ANY method is only going to be foolproof if your whole vocabulary can be covered by that system, and English just isn't like that.

It's like trying to explain verbs and saying that they all follow the same pattern- they just don't.

Thats why there should be a mixture,phonics mixed with at a glance words, they should come up with a name for it.like....Phonetic Glancing , or summat like that :hihi:

Thats why my earlier post ,which you ignored,alluded to these anomolies

Phonics is not the system used in schools - synthetic phonics is. In my experience it works extremely well indeed. I can see why teachers may be nonplussed at being compelled to use synthetic phonics only, but as a method of teaching reading, it's very hard to beat.

Our youngest is 5 and is reading along with James and the Giant Peach. Our eldest is 9 and reads Discworld novels for pleasure. Both started with synthetic phonics.

It's really handy for TESL.

The kids learn how the sounds work at a very early age so they don't develop bad habits.

You wouldn't believe the difference between kids that have phonics lessons and those that don't.

Archived