Car trip computers

You can reset any time you like basically, it depends what functions your car offers and what you want to know really.

My car has a current journey (resets itself if you stop for more than 30 mins) average mpg and a longer term (last 1000 miles) average mpg so I never reset it as I don't really need to.

Thanks for your reply.

Im wanting to know my average mpg.

Ive never filled the cars tank past half full but was told by the renault dealer that to get a true reading i need to fill the tank up to full then reset the computer to zero.

No if your computer offers an average MPG reading that should be sufficient and how much fuel you've put in is pretty much irrelevant.

If you want to/need to work it out for yourself you would need to completely fill the tank from empty, reset the trip odometer and make a note of how much fuel you put in. Then drive as normal until the tank is empty once more. You can then use the amount of fuel put in and the reading on the trip odo (how many miles driven) to work out the average MPG. If you do a Google search for 'mpg calculator' you can just type in the numbers and it will work the MPG out for you.

Make sure you chose a UK MPG calculator though!

No if your computer offers an average MPG reading that should be sufficient and how much fuel you've put in is pretty much irrelevant.

If you want to/need to work it out for yourself you would need to completely fill the tank from empty, reset the trip odometer and make a note of how much fuel you put in. Then drive as normal until the tank is empty once more. You can then use the amount of fuel put in and the reading on the trip odo (how many miles driven) to work out the average MPG. If you do a Google search for 'mpg calculator' you can just type in the numbers and it will work the MPG out for you.

Make sure you chose a UK MPG calculator though!

Sorry but that's not going to give as accurate result as your tank won't be actually empty and you won't know exactly how much is in it, the best way of doing it is filling up to the brim and do 100/200 miles exactly and then fill up again to the brim and this will give you a more accurate figure.

Yes that might be more accurate but depending on the type of driving you do and where you're going it may be difficult to fill up after an exact mileage anyway. The petrol light on your car should come on when there is about the same amount left in the tank each time anyway. There's not really a 100% accurate way of doing it but you'll get a good idea.

Archived