Should fuel duty be used to subsidise public transport?

A committee of MPs has said that fuel duty should be used to lower the costs of public transport rather than just going into the Treasury coffers. In this way people could see that their "green taxes" were being put to an environmental use and would be more willing and happy to pay them ;)

BBC Story.

Sounds marvellous doesn't it? All the lovely car drivers subsidising my bus fares. Cheers! :thumbsup:

I'd rather it was spent on the roads as well, it would benefit everyone that way (including buses, cyclists etc).

Wouldn't mind if public transport was cheaper though, I would use it if it was cheaper than using the car to commute but for two people commuting together as we do in our house it's more expensive so why would we use it.

Public transport is already subsidised.

Not all of it.

Imagine fuel duty being raised and the revenue used to make all bus journeys free of charge. Possibly, a lot of people would abandon their driving into town to work each day and take the bus instead. The people who don't have that choice, and must drive because they go to lots of different places where buses would not serve, will find the roads so much clearer because of all the people who chose the bus. Everybody wins.

Driving around Sheffield for work used to be far easier in the 70s and early 80s, precisely because bus fares in Sheffield were ridiculously cheap. Anybody who just wanted to go to town and back again would never dream of using a car for the purpose.

Archived