Legal advice re Child custody

Would a solicitor be qualified to tell a client that it is not in the best interest of their child (having never met the child) to have equal parenting and that the child would be better off having one parent with the other having just access.

I can find nothing to suggest that this 'advice' is just or legal, likewise nothing to suggest that it isn't.

Can anyone help?

In a word, 'No'. The Family Court makes decisions about the child's best interests if the parents are unable to come to a decision themselves. One parent would have to make an application to the Court. The forms are available online.

If a report is required by the Court, the process would then take between four and six months to complete, perhaps longer.

Would a solicitor be qualified to tell a client that it is not in the best interest of their child (having never met the child) to have equal parenting and that the child would be better off having one parent with the other having just access.

I can find nothing to suggest that this 'advice' is just or legal, likewise nothing to suggest that it isn't.

Can anyone help?

I can, ill PM you.

In a word, 'No'. The Family Court makes decisions about the child's best interests if the parents are unable to come to a decision themselves.

Any competent solicitor should be able to anticipate what the Family Court decision is likely to be, and to advise his client accordingly.

Any competent solicitor should be able to anticipate what the Family Court decision is likely to be, and to advise his client accordingly.

Thanks for telling me that. I have been in Family Court four times, two of which I represented myself. I had an ex-wife with too much time on her hands who was eligible for legal aid.

Not all solicitors are competent and not all parents are listened to and respected.

Archived