Gumtree scams be on your guard

did not work on me but bet some one has fallen for it and others

was a boat for sale on gumtree at a ok price and with in sheffield.

I talked to the seller sounded english and ok we agreed a cash upon delivery price .

then I got emails saying from fedex that they have the boat but need the full payment to be made by paypal or credit card for insurance or they will not relese the item bla bla bla

I contacted fedex and they agreed that this is not from them and that it is a scam ..

crazy thing is this person is still in contact with me vie email ect and saying he will be back in sheffield by sunday and will make arangements for delivery then ..? lol

me and fedex are also in contact and every detail and email is being sent to them..

so no matter how much you want it or how good it looks cash only upon delivery or collection ..

not sure its just the site but any add any where now..I spoke to the person said he was from crookes all looked good and sounded ok . was just when after we agreed time place price that I got a email from fedex . and knowing after I said no way I will pay a penny untill I get the boat. that I thought ill contact fedex and they confirmed that it is a scam email that they have not see one alike . I and fedex are still in contact with this person and they have no idea we are on to them.

I had a similar experience where I got an email from 'paypal' telling me money had gone into my account. A quick check of my actual account proved otherwise and I told them it was in the post. I then rang the police and passed on the address to which the watch I was selling was to be sent.

my wife advertised her iphone 4 on gumtree a few months back she got replies almost immediatley via email, out of the first 7 replies every single one turned out to be scammers, she found out they were scammers by googling for gumtree scammers and others had posted identical emails with just the name of the item changed I.E "I'm very intersted in your Iphone for my daughter" and "Im very interested in your ford fiesta for my daughter", and almost everyone i know who has tried to sell anything of value on there have been hounded by scammers.

It should be called SCAMTREE I'd rather sell on ebay and pay the charges than lose my goods/money alltogether

Archived