Has anyone had to drink "klean prep" before an endoscopy?

Have had to take it twice in the past and will be getting another lot soon.

Its does taste foul I admit but certainly cleans you out. What I couldn't stand mainly was the smell as it smells of vanilla, yuck! The trick is to mix it with lime juice and hold the nose while swallowing.

Gas and air is available to alleviate any pain from the procedure but if worried you can chose an anesthetic and be "out" while its done. It may be invasive but what would you rather suffer, problems with cancer at a later stage or the procedure to help stop it?

Just to add, its the only place I have tattoos! :hihi:

Hang on. Klean Prep tastes of vanilla? Does it? I thought it was just stupidly disgusting chemicals with a really salty taste.

Sounds like they've changed it. At least, I hope they have. I drank six litres of the stuff (each pouch makes 2 litres - that's just nuts, right)? Couldn't manage the last 2 so I kept the packet in a cupboard to remind me that I can just take a sniff to remind me that nothing could ever be worse than Klean Prep.

yes i have had to go through this twice but worth it. its horrid stuff but you have to take big gulps of it and frequently, i found i only needed one packet but some may need more and when you take it stay very close to a loo and i meen close good luck x

Entirely upto you but the last time i had clean prep i only did one packet.And had no problems they did say if it was not clear enough they would not beable to do it.How ever all went ahead.Just dont have anything to eat from day before if possible.Clear drinks not a problem.

its disgusting, had a colonoscopy about 10 years ago for a polyp .............one of the worse experiences of my life, I had a sore bottom for days and an horrendous dose of piles afterwards :gag::gag::gag:

good luck :)

The colonoscopy wouldn't have caused the piles - they would have been there already and popped out with all the loose stools you passed after taking the Kleanprep.:o

This thread reminded me of one of the funniest threads I'd ever read on a forum. It contains a little masked swearing but isn't what I'd regard as an inappropriate link: http://www.singletrackworld.com/2009/02/the-picolax-thread-returns/

Sony, I really hope you do go through with it. If you really can't face it, definitely ask if there's an alternative as they'd rather you did that than suffer in silence. Good luck :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

I am drinking it at this very moment. The doses I had yesterday took some real forcing down, i had mixed it with flavoured spring water and added a dash of lime.

Todays dose is mixed just with lemonade instead of water, and its a lot better. almost palatable, but don't know how i am going to get through 2 litres of the stuff in the next two hours.

Not looking forward to the colonoscopy today - roll on 3.30 when it will all be over and i will be able to come home and have a nice cup of coffee and something to eat.

So, a tip for someone who is about to take Klean-Prep - get in plenty of lemonade (I bought the Asda extra-special one, which actually is a bit lemony tasting).

Gotta go now.........................................................................:gag:

I am drinking it at this very moment. The doses I had yesterday took some real forcing down, i had mixed it with flavoured spring water and added a dash of lime.

Good luck today. Remember, it's never as bad as you think it's going to be and the key is relaxing!!!

Can't stress that enough!

Good luck today. Remember, it's never as bad as you think it's going to be and the key is relaxing!!!

Can't stress that enough!

Thank you. My sister had it done earlier on this year, and she said the same. I think the Klean-Prep might be the worst part of it (and the embarrassment):blush:

Thank you. My sister had it done earlier on this year, and she said the same. I think the Klean-Prep might be the worst part of it (and the embarrassment):blush:

He he he. All you have to remember is that some people PAY for this kind of thing, and you're getting it for free :P

Archived