Air rifles where to buy them?

I've never had the need to get a fire arms licence, below 12ftlbs is plenty for vermin and target shooting, When I move to France in the future I will go for a FAC .50 cal 200ftlbs air rifle as they have wild boar to hunt and the bar-b-que's are brilliant with the whole village taking part cant wait.

ALAN

Nope.

The British Association of Shooting and Conservation has this to say

The FAC relates to muzzle energy, not how the projectile is propelled - as I understand it.

An air rifle/pistol is normalytermed an 'Airweapon' when firing below 12ftlbs above that it is calssed as a firearm, any gun dealer who tested it with a chrono and found it to be over 12ftlb would be obliged to ask to see your F.A.C. If you couldn't show one he would be obliged to withold the firearm.

At my shooting club only airweapons that do not exceed 12ftlbs are allowed on the air range above that they are classed as firearms and have to use the firearms range.

Edited by Bassman62

Using differant pellets and changing a spring can take a sub 12ftlbs gun over the limit so it may pay you to be very careful when choosing your pellets, you could always buy yourself a crono set and test your own guns. A general tune up can do wonders for the power levels, but it always pays to be careful and have your gun kit checked out once per year or even more.

ALAN

Nope.

The British Association of Shooting and Conservation has this to say

So if you commit an offence with a sub 12ft/lb air weapon, you will have committed a firearms offence.

Stabbing someone with a small pocket knife is a stabbing offence but it is not an offence to own or carry one.

I own a pre charged multi shot air rifle with a recomemded fill of 200 Bar almost 3000 per square inch, it is not classed as a firearm as it is tested and certified at 11.6 ftlb, of course it would be a firearms offence if I shot at someone or did not comply with the limitations of outdoor use.

The law does not require me to apply for an FAC to leave my home with it.

This may be usefull if you want to test your own guns, the crono on this site is about £40 but if you shop round you will get the same one cheaper

http://www.airgunbuyer.com/details.asp?cat=Chronographs&SubCat=Shooting%20Chrony%20Chronographs&Product=3047

ALAN

A sensible aquisition but I fear some numpties would use one to brag about how powerful they've now made their air arm.

Thats true Bassman, but you don't need power to be a good shoot. I think if there were more gun clubs/ranges around that would make things better for people to have a place to shoot and not take chances in public.

I'm thinking of getting the grandkids started but I want to get them into F/T shooting and get them a taster day at some club in the future, I've heard Doncaster has a big clubhouse thought I'd try there.

ALAN

I've never had the need to get a fire arms licence, below 12ftlbs is plenty for vermin and target shooting, When I move to France in the future I will go for a FAC .50 cal 200ftlbs air rifle as they have wild boar to hunt and the bar-b-que's are brilliant with the whole village taking part cant wait.

ALAN

I nearly had one run into my car a few weeks ago near Bellac. Big buggers.

Thats true Bassman, but you don't need power to be a good shoot. I think if there were more gun clubs/ranges around that would make things better for people to have a place to shoot and not take chances in public.

I'm thinking of getting the grandkids started but I want to get them into F/T shooting and get them a taster day at some club in the future, I've heard Doncaster has a big clubhouse thought I'd try there.

ALAN

True about power I've used many things from Lee Enfield at Bisley 1962 right to most of the firearms an infantryman would use in the 60s

I'm a member of a club near Chesterfield, I was a member in the eighties when I held an FAC and rejoined a couple of years ago.

At the moment I'm sticking air rifle target shooting entering the usual competitions.

Our range is county standard with indoor from 10- 25 yards and outdoor up to 100 yards plus clay pigeon shooting, maybe you'd like to visit one night, it is open every night (air weaopns only Friday), all day Tuesday and Sunday 0900-1300.

Regards John