"I Love You Will You Marry Me?" - Park Hill

"Getting the glory". ?

What glory. ?

....plenty of people already earning money out of it , ie cards, T-Shirts ,pictures ect , and even talk of a documentary or even a film .

Oh , and happens to be the most talked about item on Park Hill - more so than the actual rebuild of the flats itself !!!:hihi:

• 5 years later...

came across this thread wilst searching old video and images .. got me searching after someone on facebook also claims to have writen it many years prior .

seems the story is doing the rounds again https://www.theguardian.com/global/2016/aug/21/tragic-story-of-sheffield-park-hill-bridge

not sure is it visable in this image from 1989 Sheffield Bus Station, March 1989

also 1995 c.03/1995 - Sheffield Midland.

Edited by doom bringer

I just don't believe it mate.

Why would this jason tell a pack of lies in public with the risk of someone coming forward to shoot down his story. ?

From the Guardian article:

“You’re making all this money out of my graffiti and I’m homeless. Can you give me a flat?” He says there was no reply.

• 3 weeks later...
...I have been on this site for years , never told a lie or caused trouble , and love the memories and history of my beloved Sheffield .

I know all about this story as i have lived with the woman - yes woman! - who did it, for the past 31 years , and have been told the story thousands of times , as you can imagine !!!

I never knew anybody was interested in the slogan till it was put up into neon a few months ago .

This is why i am annoyed at all the BS coming out of all the "claiments" who are now showing their faces after no true story has come out ! - even the long-standing caretaker has got it wrong !!!!:hihi:

Well I call you out.!!!

You made the same claims on Facebook but once I mentioned (1) that the paint had been analyzed and showed it was the same paint from the same batch, (2) that the records of the caretaker show the date the graffiti was wrote (3) I questioned the size of your lady as in 2015, the average size of a 12 year old was 4'9" so you could take a few inches off that for an average size 12 year old in '76, and asked you how she leant over the side to write it when the bridge itself stands at 4' tall.

You then became abusive and threatening till I told you your IP address was traced and then you removed the profile you was using.

So YES, As the JASON who wrote ALL the wording on the bridge, I CALL YOU OUT.

---------- Post added 09-09-2016 at 22:20 ----------

Also, If you look at both parts, Clare's name and the rest of the message, you will quite clearly see that the L, R and E in both are the same.

Does it really matter who wrote it at the end of the day its become part of Sheffield's urban legend perhaps Jason wrote it who knows for certain why do we think we have the right to everything sometimes its best to leave somethings as a mystery.

Human nature to solve mysteries is it not,

as a person who knocked around that area in the 50s and 60s i do seem to remember that written on a bridge in that area then, "happy days in the Zodiac".

Does it really matter who wrote it at the end of the day its become part of Sheffield's urban legend perhaps Jason wrote it who knows for certain why do we think we have the right to everything sometimes its best to leave somethings as a mystery.

There is NO perhaps I wrote it. It has been proven that I wrote it.

And the thing is, I am claiming nothing from it and have gained nothing from it. Yes I made a plea of asking for a flat because I was almost homeless due to bureaucratic red tape, and was at a very low point in my personal life, bar that, I have claimed nothing or been given anything.

All I wanted to do was preserve Clare's name on the bridge, but somewhere along the way, this has been scratched out on purpose since doing the interview for BBC Radio 4, and before the plan of putting it in neon lights.

Now whether that has been done by Urban Splash or on their instructions is something that I will probably never know, and it would be wrong of me to point fingers. All I know is that whomever it was had access to the bridge.

For me it doesn't really matter who wrote this or that its the story behide it that counts its part of Park Hills flats history and glimpse into someone life . A bit like me I photo places many of which are now gone forever Park Hill is one place Iv photoed a lot has its changing because I think its worth recording in a way I'm documenting past lives. I never understood why Urban Splash put neon lights on the graffiti it should have been left as is I also think the multi coloured panels make the place look tacky it looked way better before as brickwork but hey ho some hipster will come along soon to tell I need to look at the ' bigger picture' .

For me it doesn't really matter who wrote this or that its the story behide it that counts its part of Park Hills flats history and glimpse into someone life . A bit like me I photo places many of which are now gone forever Park Hill is one place Iv photoed a lot has its changing because I think its worth recording in a way I'm documenting past lives. I never understood why Urban Splash put neon lights on the graffiti it should have been left as is I also think the multi coloured panels make the place look tacky it looked way better before as brickwork but hey ho some hipster will come along soon to tell I need to look at the ' bigger picture' .

Totally agree :thumbsup:

The brickwork looked good but faded and got dirty over time the multicoloured panels look great to me and I'm told will retain the colour better. However the next stage is going to retain more of the brickwork, the cynic in me says they are doing that for cost purposes but who knows they have dressed their reasoning up in rather pretenious Architectural language.

As for cleaning the graffiti the concrete was cleaned and coated for preservation across the whole first phase of the site. This is probably why the original graffiti is even more faded than it was before.