Beer and food near the station?

I assume you know about the Sheffield Tap? It's literally part of the station and has one of the best range of beers in Sheffield - very well kept as well. I don't know if they do food though.

The Rutland is another good ale pub nearby - not tried the food there.

I assume you know about the Sheffield Tap? It's literally part of the station and has one of the best range of beers in Sheffield - very well kept as well. I don't know if they do food though.

They don't do food (apart from paninis I think?) so maybe not much use for the OP. But I agree, I'd go there, have a bag of chilli crisps, enjoy the beer and worry about food later.

There's The Showroom as well. They do nice grub.

But they don't do decent beer. There is a sole handpump that is dusted down for docfest or some other event every now and then, but unfortunately they haven't got much idea how to do cask beer or any commitment to it, so it's seldom worth bothering anyway.

So usually the beer choice is expensive gassy lager, Guinness or nasty 'nitrokeg' bitter. In fancy metal pumps. It's a shame, as I like the place a lot and still drink there fairly often anyway. Other independent cinemas manage to have 2 or 3 proper beers so why not here? Too much trouble for the management is my guess. Just one would do - and would help keep it fresh.

What's the Howard like these days?

I try it every few years to see if it's improved. Considering its location and the look of the building from the outside it should be an obvious choice, but it's not.

Like most other Marstons pubs

Rutland is your best bet near the station and it's is good for beer but it's expensive. 4quid for a pint of Green Goblin cider! Also the food is better than chain pub food but never quite as nice as it sounds.

Drink the proper cider and its £3.50 a pint. Beer varies from about £2.40 a pint up to about £3.30 depending on ABV.

Most of the food is good - freshly cooked by a proper chef using decent ingredients, some of the specials can disapoint if you don't know what to expect - usual advise, ask the staff before ordering.

Archived