Hibberts art shop.....

RiffRaff

My 5 times great grandfather Thomas Hibbert married Dorothy Marple in 1754 - their son William born 1755 died 1755 is buried in Edensor graveyard near Chatsworth - it seems as though they lived there for quite a few generations after that.

So was your grandfather (5 times removed) related to the Hibberts who ran Hibbert Brothers? and if so, please get in touch because we are also related.

If I've worked things out correctly, William HIBBERT began the business: certainly by 1839 he's in the directory at 78 Fargate as Carvers & Gilders; under the name Marples & Hibbert - Marples was his wife's (Matilda) maiden name and had several brothers. At what time the business changes to Hibbert Bros I've not noted, but would be easy enough to follow using relevant trade directories.

William and Matilda were my GGG Grandparents: some years ago I did some research at Sheffield Archives and managed to get into Hibbert Bros in the Saturday lunch break: unfortunately although I spoke to Mrs Lidgard, her sister Freda was busy in her office with a customer. Mrs Lidgard said that a cousin/uncle had done some family history research, but on his death the papers had been lost. I tried to maintain contact with Mrs Lidgard when I returned to London, but unfortunately she never replied. I'd love to hear from any of the family. Jay

My Mum's second cousin married into the Lidgard family, her name was Muriel Peckett. She married Graham Lidgard born around 1938. They had connections with the Hibbert shop. I did contact a relative sometime back on Genes Reunited but can't access the information anymore.I will try and find out any more information.

Edited by Rivelin6

• 3 weeks later...

Just heard back from my second cousins husband and this is what he wrote

Muriel's husband Graham' mother (Mary) was a Hibbert. The shop in question was owned by her sister Freda, previously owned and managed by their father (possibly William)

Hope this helps.

• 6 years later...

Hi, I find myself here because of a photo I bought 40 years go from an antique shop in Maidstone, Kent. It is a very interesting photo because it shows a young woman standing in the background, a young black man sitting in the foreground next to an elderly man & woman ...My daughter-in-law is fascinated by it.....We are trying to date the photo. I would put it at about 1850 from the dress & hairstyles......last night (for the first time!) I saw a label from Hibbert bros. Sheffield on the back. It lead me here ...............A long shot but would anyone have any info. about this photo?