Drought in the Horn of Africa?

Many are doing just fine, many have problems, and many are downright in flames. Like many places in the world. It happens everywhere where nations are still pretty much in infancy or...

In infancy? Many of these former colonies have been independent for over 50 years.

Tell us the many who are doing fine, and if they're doing fine as you say why aren't they helping their African kinfolk?.

The thread is about the "Horn of Africa" as far as I can tell. Have another 50 countries moved there?

The situation in the Horn is nothing to do with poor government of a legacy left by the British Empire.

We all know that, what I'm saying is why other African countries aren't doing more to help.

In infancy? Many of these former colonies have been independent for over 50 years.

Tell us the many who are doing fine, and if they're doing fine as you say why aren't they helping their African kinfolk?.

Funny..............

We all know that, what I'm saying is why other African countries aren't doing more to help.

Neighbouring countries are are largely overwhelmed by refugees from the Horn. Why is it anymore an issue for other African countries that us?

Strange isn't it that you didn't pick up on Longcol claiming that they sold their livestock for arms, from this we must presume that the livestock was fit, healthy, well fed and watered to be sold for arms.

Now which part of their wives and children are not fit, healthy, well fed and watered don't you understand?

The millions who are not.

Where cattle water and food is available women and children won't have much of a say anyway. Then again you do have this crazy notion that they're all one in the same.

It wasn't aid money that armed the factions there - it was largely diamonds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sierra_Leone_Civil_War#Diamonds_and_the_.22resource_curse.22

Please understand, we pay for everything they need via aid (government or charity) they instead of spending what they earn of keeping the earners alive buy guns and bank the rest. Thus we by giving money are helping buy guns and keep monsters in power. How hard is that to grasp?

I think the main concern is that many of the worst affected areas ar ein southern somalia, which is controlled by an islamic terrorist organisation, al shabbab. Even though it's leaders have generously announced a temporary halt to beheading aid workers as long as under no circumstances mention Jesus, the organisation of al shabbab is very localised so the odds of aid delivered by unarmed aid workers not being confiscated by one or other local al shabbab militia before it gets to the people who need it seem pretty remote.

I'd be a lot more keen to contribute if the aid was restricted to areas not controlled by al shabbab, that way it would at least get to some of the people that need it and not end up feeding a terrorist group.

Archived