Any tips on how to cancel broadband??

Hi Guys

Im wanting to move my broadband to Virgin from AOL.

I've heard AOL are a real pain to get away from but there service is terrible and there is no way i am staying with them.

There call centre staff are very unhelpful and the speed i get is just stupid.

Any tips on how to handle them :)

Thanks

Just do what I did when I had to try and get out of AOL dial up about 12 years ago, if you're out of the 12 month minimum term and they start getting arsey with you, say "I'll see you in Court!", that'll sort the beggers out!

Hmmm- AOL is probably through your phone line and Virgin is through their own line, so you may well find that you have to cancel with AOL even if you want to, because Virgin don't need to actually do any sort of transfer to set their service up.

I'd write a letter to inform them that you're giving them 30 days' notice and cancelling and just let them get on with being unhelpful then.

Once you've got rid of them you'll then encounter the other issue with getting rid of all of the AOL software on your computer, which is also great fun :(

Check what the cancellation terms are then email and post a letter. Then stop paying when the notice period has expired. If you are moving to Virgin's ADSL service you can let them sort out the transfer, if you are moving to the cable service then once you have stopped paying AOL you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Unless you ever want to move back to an ADSL service, in which case there is a small chance there may be problems if AOL have held on to the connection in some way.

Hmmm- AOL is probably through your phone line and Virgin is through their own line, so you may well find that you have to cancel with AOL even if you want to, because Virgin don't need to actually do any sort of transfer to set their service up.

I'd write a letter to inform them that you're giving them 30 days' notice and cancelling and just let them get on with being unhelpful then.

Once you've got rid of them you'll then encounter the other issue with getting rid of all of the AOL software on your computer, which is also great fun :(

They would probably ignore the 30 days notice letter, like 3 did when I wrote them a sternly worded letter to get out of contract about 2 years ago, 30 days later they denied getting the letter, I had to get Dad to ring up and get stroppy with them to get out of the contract, I suspect AOhell would be the same.

Spoke to AOL earlier and all of a sudden they wouldn't speak to me (not had any problem the last 2 months!) they have said all my dad needs to do is call up and cancel and it wil be as easy as that..... Not sure whether to believe them or not.

If you have a email account with aol can you still sign into the account after your subscription is cancelled? You can sign up for free so can't see it being a problem?

how long have you been with them? if it's over 12 months (or 18, depending on your original contract) just pay the next bill, and cancel the payment, phone them up, tell them you wish to leave and are up to date and have cancelled the payment....

they will cut you pretty much immediately.. (but i'd wait till virgin are sorted before doing this)

Unless it's virgins regional service you'll be getting, in which case, they can deal with AOL for you

Archived