Gaza Siege Being Enforced From Europe,

I'm pretty sure we are free to travel to wherever we like on the planet.

total poppycock. Any country can refuse a visa anytime they want, to anyone they want, and they don't have to give a reason. I had a visa application refused once. They can even refuse you entry at the border, even when you have been issued with a visa. Having a visa is not enough to get somebody into the country. If they question you and aren't happy with your answers, or even if they just don't like the look of you, they won't let you in - even if you have a visa. And there's nothing you can do it about it. It's their country, not yours. Just because somebody is British, or American, or Japanese, doesn't entitle them to go anywhere they want.

just today, somebody on another board posted a topic saying that he'd been refused a visa to the Philippines, one of the poorest countries in Asia. What he'd done was, like an idiot, said on his application form that he'd been a bit of a one-boy crimewave when he was a teenager a quarter of a century ago, and been jailed for, among other things, assaulting a police officer. He thought that 25 years, and that he'd not reoffended, meant that the slate was wiped clean and that he'd be allowed in. He thought wrong. Now he's on the blacklist for life and will never be able to get in.

You're pretty wrong then aren't you?

Nope.

Everyone is free to travel anywhere in the world.

I'm pretty certain I've seen English, German, Spanish etc. reporters in Gaza.

total poppycock. Any country can refuse a visa anytime they want, to anyone they want, and they don't have to give a reason. I had a visa application refused once. They can even refuse you entry at the border, even when you have been issued with a visa. Having a visa is not enough to get somebody into the country. If they question you and aren't happy with your answers, or even if they just don't like the look of you, they won't let you in - even if you have a visa. And there's nothing you can do it about it. It's their country, not yours. Just because somebody is British, or American, or Japanese, doesn't entitle them to go anywhere they want.

just today, somebody on another board posted a topic saying that he'd been refused a visa to the Philippines, one of the poorest countries in Asia. What he'd done was, like an idiot, said on his application form that he'd been a bit of a one-boy crimewave when he was a teenager a quarter of a century ago, and been jailed for, among other things, assaulting a police officer. He thought that 25 years, and that he'd not reoffended, meant that the slate was wiped clean and that he'd be allowed in. He thought wrong. Now he's on the blacklist for life and will never be able to get in.

Make sure you give the "right" answers.

Regardless of visas, you can travel anywhere in the world if you have the means.

Nope.

Everyone is free to travel anywhere in the world.

I'm pretty certain I've seen English, German, Spanish etc. reporters in Gaza.

so have I, but people do get turned away by the Israelis, just as they do everywhere else, usually when they kick up some sort of infantile stink. Israeli border controls have to put up with a lot of this and while they're used to it and fairly tolerant of it, there is a line that they have to draw somewhere. I passed over from Jordan at the Allenby/King Hussein bridge with an old British guy once - it was his first time back in Jerusalem, travelling with his wife, having served there as a conscript in Palestine during the Mandate period. This is mid 90s, in the Oslo years. If you've met many of these veterans, you may know that most, though not all, of them tend to side with the Arabs and he was one of the majority. I was behind him when he was getting his grilling and he was being so unbelievably cheeky, I was embarrassed for him and surprised the Israeli guard wasn't getting more annoyed. But she just ignored his silly remarks and let him through after about five minutes.

not me though. They kept me for 45 minutes, led me through into a private room and gave me a proper interrogation, when about four of them grilled me rather than just one. They always did that to me. It's what happens when you're only 27 years of age instead of 70. You're automatically much more suspect.

the old guy eventually came a cropper. He was only going over for only 2 days, at which point he was going to have to go back to Amman and fly back to London from there. I'd warned him on the bus that he was taking a risk. You see, any kind of incident can close the border down for days, and his luck was out and that's exactly what happened. The next day, there was some terrorist incident, and we got wind that the border was closed. Not sure how, or when, he got home - but it certainly would have been later than he thought it was going to be.

so have I, but people do get turned away by the Israelis, just as they do everywhere else, usually when they kick up some sort of infantile stink. Israeli border controls have to put up with a lot of this and while they're used to it and fairly tolerant of it, there is a line that they have to draw somewhere. I passed over from Jordan at the Allenby/King Hussein bridge with an old British guy once - it was his first time back in Jerusalem, travelling with his wife, having served there as a conscript in Palestine during the Mandate period. This is mid 90s, in the Oslo years. If you've met many of these veterans, you may know that most, though not all, of them tend to side with the Arabs and he was one of the majority. I was behind him when he was getting his grilling and he was being so unbelievably cheeky, I was embarrassed for him and surprised the Israeli guard wasn't getting more annoyed. But she just ignored his silly remarks and let him through after about five minutes.

not me though. They kept me for 45 minutes, led me through into a private room and gave me a proper interrogation, when about four of them grilled me rather than just one. They always did that to me. It's what happens when you're only 27 years of age instead of 70. You're automatically much more suspect.

the old guy eventually came a cropper. He was only going over for only 2 days, at which point he was going to have to go back to Amman and fly back to London from there. I'd warned him on the bus that he was taking a risk. You see, any kind of incident can close the border down for days, and his luck was out and that's exactly what happened. The next day, there was some terrorist incident, and we got wind that the border was closed. Not sure how, or when, he got home - but it certainly would have been later than he thought it was going to be.

EXCUSE ME!!!1

THESE PEOPLE WERE NOT JUST TURNED AWAY AT THE BORDER,

as you so put it,

people were removed from thier plane seats , refused to fly out of paris and other European airports, the ones who did make it were put into detention centers!

any comment on that? or do you always side step the issues being discussed?

how and when did russian jews get to russia? any historical documents? anything?

nada!

the 'flightilla' was a flop. They unfurled these banners at the airport, made silly noises and banged drums, insulted passers by, and inconvenienced the other passengers. In short, they just made nuisances of themselves.

the Israelis just did what anybody else would have done. They got on the blower and told the airlines that if they let any more of these numbskulls on to planes bound for Ben Gurion, then they'd be liable for the expense of getting them back to wherever they came from. Which is why the airlines didn't allow them onto the planes.

some few passengers probably got misidentified as being numbskulls, when they weren't, which is unfortunate. But any country would have done the same.

Archived