EHIC scam: A WARNING

I saw this on another forum and thought those of you planning to go abroad for your hols may like to check this:

Also saw a post on the Fuerteventura Forum about European Health Insurance Card have expiry date. Checked and mine had expired. Done a Google search and found what I thought was the official NHS site and when the page opened it had a big button to renew which I hit and then inserted all my details including NI number etc. It then asked for payment, thought last time was free, must be Cameron raking in more money and filled in CC details.

Following having done this I posted on the Fuerteventura forum about Mr Cameron taking money now for the EHIC and a post came back from one of the posters saying I had been scammed by a bogus site. Immediately I found the correct NHS site and order a new card on line. Next morning the bogus site sent email saying they could not issue card as one was already issued. I asked for my money to be refunded and they say

" We do not issue ANYONE with an EHIC, that is not part of our service.

We do not issue, ship, or sell EHIC cards.

Many Thanks,

Michael Roberts

http://www.euhealthcard.or"

I have contacted the NHS, consumer protect, Google and also have my CC company stopping the payment. Beware if you are asked for a payment for an EHIC you are being scammed, the other worrying thing is that this turns out to be a Belgian company and they could easily steal my identity as they have lots of my details you would not normally give out such as NI number. BE WARNED

I have also found the site that sells the cards, but I knew it was a scam as they ate sent out free by the NHS.

A couple of years ago my son went to France with his school. At the meeting before the trip they told us to get EHIC cards and that they were free. One bloke jumped up and shouted they weren't! He'd fallen for the scam.

Archived