Is the Isle of Man in Great Britain.

I am watching the Tour De France on T.Vat the moment and a guy called Mark Cavendish keeps winning stages of what must be the hardest sporting event on the planet ,My question is , is the Isle of Man part of the U.k And should we be taking more notice of this incredible athlete.

The Isle of Man is part of the United Kingdom, but not part of Great Britain which is a bit confusing. It's a self-governing British Crown Dependency.

Also it's not part of the EU and neither are the Channel Islands.

The Isle of Man is part of the United Kingdom...
No - the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands are not part of the United Kingdom, being self-governing dependencies of the British crown. Their defence and foreign relations are the responsibility of the UK government but they have their own legislatures, currency etc.

See for example a UK government website here, also Wikipedia.

"Great Britain" is not a political but a geographical term, referring to the largest of the British Isles comprising England, Scotland and Wales.

No - the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands are not part of the United Kingdom, being self-governing dependencies of the British crown. Their defence and foreign relations are the responsibility of the UK government but they have their own legislatures, currency etc.

See for example a UK government website here, also Wikipedia.

"Great Britain" is not a political but a geographical term, referring to the largest of the British Isles comprising England, Scotland and Wales.

So if Mark Cavendish wins a medal at the Olympics is it not for the G.B. team.

:huh::huh: Tour de France is nothing to do with Olympics is it?
No, but we seem to be discussing the question of which nation Mark Cavendish wrepresents. Unless the Isle of Man has its own national sports teams, then if Mark Cavendish competes internationally as part of a team, then I imagine he will represent Great Britain.

No, but we seem to be discussing the question of which nation Mark Cavendish represents. Unless the Isle of Man has its own national sports teams, then if Mark Cavendish competes internationally as part of a team, then I imagine he will represent Great Britain.

Is Tour de France for amateurs? If not then competitors can't compete in Olympics. Not sure about which country MC would represent though, would imagine Great Britain though on the basis that Andy Murray was Scottish until he started winning then he became British:hihi::hihi::hihi:

...Andy Murray was Scottish until he started winning then he became British:hihi::hihi::hihi:
I used to represent Hillsborough at tiddlywinks until I got so good that I was taken on by the Sheffield national team. Now I play for Scunthorpe but Sheffield keep trying to entice me back..:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Archived