Mobile phone contract

I have a 24 month contract with the Carphone Warehouse. I'm about 13 months in and want to upgrade. I've asked them about it but they weren't very helpful, just said I can't upgrade yet, no explanation. Was wondering if anyone on here knew how it works - once you get a contract are you stuck with that phone until the end? Is there not some way you can change it and update the contract, even if it means you have to pay a little bit more (which I don't think is very fair because when I got the contract this was the latest model, so I don't see why I should be paying more, or even the same amount each month for out of date software!)?

Aaaah! Can a mod please edit title - meant to read contract not contact. Damn predictive text.

There you go :)

Yes you are stuck, usually until the 23rd month. The 'latest' handsets cost hundreds of pounds so are given to you free because you gradually pay off that cost as part of your line rental each month. You often can get out early but only if you pay the remaining months' line rental.

Why do you need a new phone after only 13 months? Sounds a bit childish

Why is it childish to want to upgrade your phone?

I don't need a reason to want to but I do have one. Mine has slowed down and plays up sometimes.

Thank you. It doesn't seem worth it having such a long contract then, not with the rate technology advances these days. I think in future I'll provide my own handset and get a sim only contract. :?

The technology advances are why the contracts are now so long. The handsets are so much more expensive that the standard contracts have gone up from 12 to 24 months, or you pay around £75 a month for a 12 month. For example - a 16GB iPhone 4 will set you back over £500 without a contract. The 'cutting edge' phones you used to get free on a 12 month contract were in the £250 region.

I don't understand this I've got to have latest technology every year, It's a phone:roll:

The other problem is that a lot of phones only used to be designed to last 12 months - the battery would often give out and stop charging shortly after warranty expired. I'm currently sitting out the rest of my 24 month contract on a very basic PAYG handset because my contract phone developed a fault and stopped working after 15 months.

I don't understand this I've got to have latest technology every year, It's a phone:roll:

If you use your phone for business and need it to work efficiently it makes sense to have one that suits your needs. Mine doesn't, I have had to get a cheap PAYG as a back up phone for when this one has a paddy - not an ideal situation. A phone is not just a phone these days, they have many other functions which are extremely useful. I don't understand why you're being so judgemental about it. I shouldn't have to explain why I want to upgrade my phone. :roll:

Archived