Mobile phone contract

The other problem is that a lot of phones only used to be designed to last 12 months - the battery would often give out and stop charging shortly after warranty expired. I'm currently sitting out the rest of my 24 month contract on a very basic PAYG handset because my contract phone developed a fault and stopped working after 15 months.

Exactly this ^^

Mine wouldn't charge up the other day and I missed a couple of important calls. It's what happens with these 'smart' phones - they're prone to developing faults because they're more like mini computers than phones.

The other problem is that a lot of phones only used to be designed to last 12 months - the battery would often give out and stop charging shortly after warranty expired. I'm currently sitting out the rest of my 24 month contract on a very basic PAYG handset because my contract phone developed a fault and stopped working after 15 months.

You might argue that if the company provides a product on a contract it would be reasonable to expect the product to last the length of the contract. I don't know the legal specifics though.

You might argue that if the company provides a product on a contract it would be reasonable to expect the product to last the length of the contract. I don't know the legal specifics though.

You can argue it, but it doesn't always work, I've tried! I lost the energy to carry on arguing and sitting on hold with the service provider and manufacturer and gave up.

Exactly this ^^

Mine wouldn't charge up the other day and I missed a couple of important calls. It's what happens with these 'smart' phones - they're prone to developing faults because they're more like mini computers than phones.

Have you read your contract, what does "the small print" tell you. No doubt any info that is useful to you will be buried at the bottom of the contract where we never bother to read.

Regards

Angel.

The giveaway is in the contract 12 - 18 or 24 months. Thats how long you have to pay and keep the phone that you got when you signed up. Its not how long they claim phone will last though.

Get your phone insured if you can't cope without it - or pay more for your contract to get better terms.

If the phone is for business use get a business contract they tend to be more favourable to phone upgrades, but usually cost more iirc.

I know that orange will let you upgrade 3 months before the end of your contract if that helps but it still means you've got a while yet. IMO what I would do is buy a new phone and wait out your contract. Then refuse to take out another 24 month contract. I never take more than a 12 month contract and I never pay for my upgrades. These phone companies will scrambe all over each other to get your business so use it to your advantage.

Thank you. It doesn't seem worth it having such a long contract then, not with the rate technology advances these days. I think in future I'll provide my own handset and get a sim only contract. :?

This is what I do.. a 30 day one is the best, Ive found. Whenever O2 wind me up and I threaten to move to Vodafone (partners mobile) they suddenly cave in and give me what I want because I can move quite easily

The giveaway is in the contract 12 - 18 or 24 months. Thats how long you have to pay and keep the phone that you got when you signed up. Its not how long they claim phone will last though.

Get your phone insured if you can't cope without it - or pay more for your contract to get better terms.

If the phone is for business use get a business contract they tend to be more favourable to phone upgrades, but usually cost more iirc.

Insurance only covers loss or damage, not hardware or software breakdown.

Archived