HSBC security aaarghhhh

I suppose I could just sack off online banking, bit of a pain but then I've lost count of the number of passwords and things I need to use online banking at hsbc. My mbna account doesn't have any of this...yet

Ive banked online with hsbc for 5 yrs and had an account with them for 17 years..

Never had one problem with security...maybe i should put my hand over my mouth and shut up...:hihi:

what u need is a password like a number plate on a car that you have had in the past then add a sequence of numbers

ie.

Bank account - KA11 AAA 123

Credit card - KA11 AAA 321

jot it down in a book and put a note saying (make of car) 123, Make of car 321 and then whoever gets hold of the book won't have a clue what you are menaing but hopefully you will unless you end up going senile then ur screwed lol

oh how annoying apparantly I will need the stupid secure code thing with me whenever I want to use internet banking-that is never going to happen. I think I am going to switch banks.

It is SO annoying isn't it?!

Unfortunately, I think ALL the banks are now doing it - I've got one for barclays which is an enormous bulky thing - it makes the HSBC one look cute & tiny :(

So now, I will only be able to use Internet Banking when I've got all these extra things - stupid isn't it?!

Most of these added security measures are to protect against problems caused by the customer. These are the lengths banks are having to go to so that customers can't do anything stupid that compromises their own security.

Have they gone mad. I was sent a secure key which generates a secure code. To generate this you need a secure pin.

They also ask three security questions which are supposed to have memorable answers such as "the name of your best friend at school" and "a pet you have had"

In order to use the secure code you have to carry a little calculator thing round with you-I assume that is temporary however because of this I haven't logged in for weeks as I have not had it with me. Thus I have now forgotten my secure pin and the answers to the "memorable" security questions as I have had many pets etc:hihi:

I can't cope with all this security, I have enough trouble remembering my secure password that the hsbc makes me use whenever I buy anything. I only want to see what is in my account:cry:

I reckon people involved in online banking fraud will now find it easier than me to get into my account:hihi:

It's the new 2 factor authentication system.

I'm not sure what your assuming is temporary?

You'd probably rather have no access yourself, than someone else have access and you have no money. And HSBC would rather that you have no access than someone else have access and them have to stand the loss.

It's a pain, I haven't activated mine yet, but I do understand why they've done it.

although they are the same company they are completely different kinda log ins.

I bank with First Direct but my work is HSBC

I prefer the security of the HSBC than First Direct - had my bank account hacked into 3 times with First Direct - each time money has been refunded back into my account but so frustrating.

I too bank with both FD and HSBC. The need for passwords and randomly-generated PINs is a sad fact of life nowadays; but using both systems is far less hassle than having your account hacked!

Archived