HSBC security aaarghhhh

You would be surprised how easily passwords can be hacked, especially anything that contains a dictionary word. I've had one of these number generators from the HSBC for years for my business account and it's not a big deal.

My main objection is that they will only supply one number generator per account, which doesn't really work when you have a joint account. There should be one for each account holder, especially if you travel a lot as I do.

They supply one per person for joint accounts, I know because I have one and both account holders have separate keys. I don't know why you imagined that they wouldn't.

It fits easily into your purse to carry with you everywhere, your 'IB' number stays the same as it's always been, and it seems to only ask one memorable question - the same over and over. What's so difficult about remembering one word? As someone already pointed out you set the pin to whatever you like so potentially nothing new to remember there either.

Ermm, you don't have to activate for a month after it arrives, you just keep clicking on the link direct to my Account, at least until that month has expired. I've got 8 more days before I must activate it. The annoying thing is that previously I could connect from anywhere, anywhen, so long as I was happy the connection was secure.

Now I'll have to carry this stupid little dongle if I might want to connect.

Ok so i've left it quite a long time granted but its so annoying! In the last month i've been all over the country so have never got round to doing it.

It's the new 2 factor authentication system.

I'm not sure what your assuming is temporary?

You'd probably rather have no access yourself, than someone else have access and you have no money. And HSBC would rather that you have no access than someone else have access and them have to stand the loss.

It's a pain, I haven't activated mine yet, but I do understand why they've done it.

I would put up with it if they got rid of some of the passwords but no they still have all the passwords plus some security questions, plus some software you have to download, plus passwords when you want to buy something plus a different set of codes and passwords if you want to do telephone banking. It is crazy.

It kind of takes away the point of having online banking if it takes less time to pop into the bank or pop to a cash machine.

I've got mine but have yet to register it. I won't be able to do so until I get it back in a few days (at the wrong house right now). Until then, I haven't been able to view my balance online for about a week now. Slightly frustrating. They already ask me for a 12 digit log in code, and two 6 digit passwords, as if it wasn't secure enough in the first place. With the amount of money in my account i'd be willing to take the risk and not have to deal with all this rubbish.

yep exactly there is hardly any money in my account and there is plenty of security for it. If they want to introduce this crud they can get rid of some of the passwords. Its not like I enjoy the fact that I support their company anyway, they constantly try and get me to buy stuff from them. I am just waiting for my work contract to be renewed then I will change banks.

really is it that difficult for you?? i am also with HSBC never hada aproblem with re setting etc all you have to remember is a 4 diget security no now thats not hard is it:loopy: god help us if you hold any responsibility for anything really important:hihi:

clearly from what I said in the post you have quoted which apparently you were too stupid to read it is a lot more than one 4 digit number isnt it:loopy:

yep exactly there is hardly any money in my account and there is plenty of security for it. If they want to introduce this crud they can get rid of some of the passwords. Its not like I enjoy the fact that I support their company anyway, they constantly try and get me to buy stuff from them. I am just waiting for my work contract to be renewed then I will change banks.

Hang on, you enter your username, then your password then the number generated by the fob. What's so hard?

clearly from what I said in the post you have quoted which apparently you were too stupid to read it is a lot more than one 4 digit number isnt it:loopy:

no not stupid actually:hihi: all hsbc accounts have a IB code which never changes, then you can choose your own security no BETWEEN 4 AND TEN DIGITS i did it only yesterday, i dont think 4 digits are hard to remember eh??

i am sure you would be one of the first to create a fuss if you account was hacked:loopy:

Hang on, you enter your username, then your password then the number generated by the fob. What's so hard?

why do people find it so difficult to read:loopy:-absolutely no one said it was hard! It is annoying and there are far too many passwords some so long they have to be written down.

Archived