HSBC security aaarghhhh

why do people find it so difficult to read:loopy:-absolutely no one said it was hard! It is annoying and there are far too many passwords some so long they have to be written down.

annoying? No.

Why write them down? You can change your IB number to something easier, password to your first school, then the number you type in the fob can be 4 digits. What is annoying about that? It's only one extra than logging on here!

I would put up with it if they got rid of some of the passwords but no they still have all the passwords plus some security questions, plus some software you have to download, plus passwords when you want to buy something plus a different set of codes and passwords if you want to do telephone banking. It is crazy.

It kind of takes away the point of having online banking if it takes less time to pop into the bank or pop to a cash machine.

I could be wrong (I've not activated it yet), but there's 1 pin to remember and the memorable questions, which are well, memorable, supposedly.

You don't have to download any software (are you talking about rapor or whatever it is it offers you?). You don't need a password when you buy something??? And you don't have a different set of codes or passwords for phone banking.

I could be wrong (I've not activated it yet), but there's 1 pin to remember and the memorable questions, which are well, memorable, supposedly.

You don't have to download any software (are you talking about rapor or whatever it is it offers you?). You don't need a password when you buy something??? And you don't have a different set of codes or passwords for phone banking.

I definitely have different ones for telephone banking (every time I ring it takes a few goes to work out which old password I use because I use telephone banking about once a year, and I definitely often (not always) need a password to buy things online (securecode is it?).

Anyhow I was going to change bank anyway so its irrelevant, I can set all my passwords to the same thing. The trouble is I use so many online stores all with different rules on what a password can be so often I have to alter my password slightly, now I have so many different versions of the same password its easier to just reset most of them than work out which is which. I guess if I can't get in any fraudster will have trouble:hihi:

annoying? No.

Why write them down? You can change your IB number to something easier, password to your first school, then the number you type in the fob can be 4 digits. What is annoying about that? It's only one extra than logging on here!

so we have established you don't find it annoying, useful as that is it doesn't stop me or many other people finding it annoying!

I definitely have different ones for telephone banking (every time I ring it takes a few goes to work out which old password I use because I use telephone banking about once a year, and I definitely often (not always) need a password to buy things online (securecode is it?).

Anyhow I was going to change bank anyway so its irrelevant, I can set all my passwords to the same thing. The trouble is I use so many online stores all with different rules on what a password can be so often I have to alter my password slightly, now I have so many different versions of the same password its easier to just reset most of them than work out which is which. I guess if I can't get in any fraudster will have trouble:hihi:

Verified by Visa is nothing to do with HSBC though...

And I know for a fact that my telephone banking uses the same pin as the online banking, it's actually automated if you get it correct.

It sounds like a single compromise would hand over every account you have, using the same password for everything is bad practice.

Edit - you will find that all banks will move to 2FA in the future, several already use it, Barclays for example.

Verified by Visa is nothing to do with HSBC though...

And I know for a fact that my telephone banking uses the same pin as the online banking, it's actually automated if you get it correct.

It sounds like a single compromise would hand over every account you have, using the same password for everything is bad practice.

Edit - you will find that all banks will move to 2FA in the future, several already use it, Barclays for example.

I can cope with using it if the rest of the security is less hassle. I was going to switch banks anyway and I only meant making all my banking passwords the same not all my passwords on everything.

Archived