Could/Should Britain change to driving on the right hand side of the road?

Should we change over to driving on the right hand side of the road?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Should we change over to driving on the right hand side of the road?

• Yes
    • No. We should stick with what we have
    • I drive in the middle of the road most of the time anyhow.

I've driven the M1 just once with not much problem, all you do is follow everyone else, it;s when you get off the problems start, you tend to look the wrong way, even crossing the road on foot i found hard in the England you just don't expect a car to come around the opposte direction, also they follow very close, i thought I had someone in my back seat all the time , and forget those ring roads :hihi: life in hands rings a bell.

Flyer is 50/50 about it, so uses the middle of the road. :hihi:

• 1 month later...
no way - our hospitals are overrun already, when we gave hong kong back to china in 96 they tried to change back to the right and there was lots of deaths/accidents in the first week, it would be even worse here, especially with w***n drivers !

This never actually happened!! We never tried changing to the right, and the handover was in 97!

Everyones on about the cost cocerning changing all the road signs etc...what about the millions of right hand drive cars ?

It is possible to drive while sitting on the "wrong" side, but you're quite right; not many people would want to, so a huge number of new cars would need to be bought.

It is possible to drive while sitting on the "wrong" side, but you're quite right; not many people would want to, so a huge number of new cars would need to be bought.

Most cars are built for right hand drive. It costs more for a LHD car (expensive re-tooling) as not many countries have them. However, this is a minor concern to changing which side of the road we drive on. :)

Could/Should Britain change to driving on the right hand side of the road?

Should we fall into line with the 2/3 of the world that drives on the right, or are we right and them wrong? Even if we wanted to change, could we afford to swap over?

Do what I do, drive down the middle. That way you're not offendeding anyone are ya.:hihi:

Archived