Could/Should Britain change to driving on the right hand side of the road?

Should we change over to driving on the right hand side of the road?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Should we change over to driving on the right hand side of the road?

• Yes
    • No. We should stick with what we have
    • I drive in the middle of the road most of the time anyhow.

I wager that they produce and export more LHD models than they do RHD for home and away, the USA are great purchasers of Japanese vehicles.
Away but not home, I have a right hand drive grey import that I brought back from Cyprus that had originaly been brought from Japan.

I'm sure that I once read/heard the reason for why some drive on the right and some drive on the left, but can't for the life of me remember the answer.

It goes back to Medaeval times with the knights on horseback, just like in most castles the stairs to the towers all spiral the same way giving advantage to the defenders facing down with the sword hand on the outer side, the attackers coming up would usualy have their sword on the inner side

Is this a Blond joke? :huh:

Over 70% of the world are right handed, higher in most developed countries. It makes more sense for a right handed person to drive a right hand drive car (which are designed to drive on the left side of the road). Then you can steer with your right hand while changing gear with your left hand.

Most of the world drives on the wrong side of the road. I blame the French.

Changing the side of the road that a country drives on is a crazy idea. It'd cost a hell of a lot for everybody that lives in that country, especially car drivers, with all the cars, roads, signs, lights & other things that'd need to be changed. A country with no land borders with another country that drives on a different side of the road has no real need to change. However, if the whole world was going to agree to standardise which side of the road we all should drive on then there's a good argument for standardising on driving on the left.

I don't understand you, I think that in total they produce more LHD than RHD.

Why does that matter at all? :suspect:

Over 70% of the world are right handed, higher in most developed countries. It makes more sense for a right handed person to drive a right hand drive car (which are designed to drive on the left side of the road). Then you can steer with your right hand while changing gear with your left hand.

Most of the world drives on the wrong side of the road. I blame the French.

Changing the side of the road that a country drives on is a crazy idea. It'd cost a hell of a lot for everybody that lives in that country, especially car drivers, with all the cars, roads, signs, lights & other things that'd need to be changed. A country with no land borders with another country that drives on a different side of the road has no real need to change. However, if the whole world was going to agree to standardise which side of the road we all should drive on then there's a good argument for standardising on driving on the left.

Why does that matter at all? :suspect:

I was asking the poster a question, sometimes facts don't matter, but they are still facts. ;)

Archived