Standby or cheap flight to Cologne?

I really want to go to Cologne for my birthday on August 1. I will be 31. I did nothing for my 30th so I want to make this a good one!

Problem is I am not paid until just before this date so I cannot book a flight now. Is there any point in going on standby for a flight like this? Would it be cheap? Where do I go to go on standby? To the airline or the airport? I have never received a cheap deal in my life... and what about the return flight? Are there any standby experts out there? I do not drive and will get the train to whatever airport people think is best. Thanks so much!

Book a flight to Düsseldorf. direct flights are available from Manchester or Leeds/Bradford. Google for best prices.

You will arrive at Terminal C, most likely.

Once you pick up your luggage, follow signs for the free SkyTrain and get off at Terminal A. It's shuttle -so if you go in the wrong direction, just stay on, you will get there eventually.

At terminal A, walk in the same direction you just rode on the SkyTrain and head right at the info desk, thru the glass doors. You are now in the rail station foyer. There are multi language ticket machines that accept cash, VISA or MasterCard. You need a DB ticket, not VRR ( Cologne is in a different transport authority to Düsseldorf )

Southbound trains leave from tracks 4 and 6.

RE1 (Aachen) and RE5 (Koblenz) stop at Cologne main station (Köln Hbf) and cost 10 euros one way. These trains are red with a white stripe. Beware of the S1 which has the same colours! It ends at Düsseldorf (more about that later)

There are also the more expensive Express trains which are white with a red stripe. not all stop at Köln Hbf, some stop at Köln Deütz instead, but it's a short walk over the Rhein bridge to get you right into the center of town.

If you somehow end up in Düsseldorf Hbf, tracks 15 and 16 go to Cologne. Tickets are valid even when you change trains. No need to buy another.

When you get to Cologne:

Use the U-Bahn (subway) or bus, unless you want to get a taxi everywhere.

You can get a short trip ticket -press the K button to travel 5 stops or the A button if you are going further. There's a list of available stops posted on the multi-lingual ticket machine. Tickets carry over if part of your journey moves to another line or mode of travel.

Most of all... Have fun in Cologne !!!

I'm 400 miles away in Hamburg, otherwise I would buy you a beer.

Liebe® VideoPro vielen Dank für Ihnen hilfen! Ich bin nach Düsseldorf für Eurovision Song Contest gefahren! Wenn ich nach Hamburg fahren werde, trinken wir hoffentlich zusammen! Mein Deutsch ist nicht sehr gut. Es tut mir leid.

I do not know if we are only allowed to post in English and if that last post will be removed but I just thanked VideoPro for so many wonderful tips and said I was in Düsseldor for Eurovision Song Contest and if I make it to Hamburg we will hopefully meet for a drink.

Archived