Is a job in a supermarket, the equivalent of a steelworks job 50 years ago?

Meh, I've applied for Supermarket work years ago, and more recently I applied to the new ASDA in S5, Co Op in S6 said I was "over-qualified", and the ASDA wouldn't progress my application cos I can't work evenings or weekends (for personal reasons, do NOT start about me being "workshy", I am not)

Rich, not being able to work evenings or weekends is as absurd as applying to be a job as a Lorry Driver, when you can't drive.

anyone can work in a supermarket ,but to work in steelworks u need some skill .you don't do an apprenticeship to stack shelves or work a till but u do to work c.n.c ,lathes borers ,grinders etc ,u need a degree to work in metallurgy all these skills are what make u the money can the same be said to someone who merely places a can of beans on a shelve.

anyone can work in a supermarket ,but to work in steelworks u need some skill .you don't do an apprenticeship to stack shelves or work a till but u do to work c.n.c ,lathes borers ,grinders etc ,u need a degree to work in metallurgy all these skills are what make u the money can the same be said to someone who merely places a can of beans on a shelve.

I would potentially disagree, getting a job in the new Asdas or Tescos is quite difficult.

Even people with experience are being turned away.

With regards the steelworks, can they offer a job for life anymore?

I would potentially disagree, getting a job in the new Asdas or Tescos is quite difficult.

I dont think anywere can offer a job for life anymore,sadly those days are long gone .

Pensons, I would imagine if you got into somewhere such as Tesco at 16, by the time you got to 65, if you paid into the pension pot for 49 years, you would ge one hell of a pension on retirement - how many industrys could give you that?

Most pensions now are money purchase schemes and are transferable when you change jobs, to call them “one hell of a pension “ though is :hihi:

RichMeh, I've applied for Supermarket work years ago, and more recently I applied to the new ASDA in S5, Co Op in S6 said I was "over-qualified", and the ASDA wouldn't progress my application cos I can't work evenings or weekends (for personal reasons, do NOT start about me being "workshy", I am not)

Isn’t that like asking for a job working behind a bar and then saying I cant do evenings and weekends. :D

That's mainly because most supermarkets want to train people their own way and the fact that jobs are scarce and many people will apply. Just because someone has experience doesn't mean they are good at the job.

No.

Learning a trade was once classed as a job for life but nowadays no one can be guaranteed that. It should be like politics where you have to re-apply for the job every 4-5 years, that way everyone gets a chance at a job.

I can’t see anyone getting a mortgage or making long term plans if they thought they had to reapply for their job every few years.

Not every few year but after 5 should be OK. People already get made redundant and find other jobs even though they have a mortgage and those who are good at their jobs shouldn't need to worry.

When people start a new job they are willing and eager but after many years in the same job they tend to get complacent and lose interest in their original goal. The NHS is a prime example of that happening and politicians show it up well.

I'm not sure how many other countries have a redundancy payments policy like the UK. It wouldn't surprise me that in the near future no long term job guarantees will be made and redundancy payments will cease.

I'm not sure how many other countries have a redundancy payments policy like the UK. It wouldn't surprise me that in the near future no long term job guarantees will be made and redundancy payments will cease.

I believe employment laws are tighter on the continent that here, on the TV this morning they were talking about employers “ down banding” employees rather than making them redundant so what makes you think employers want a continuous turnover of staff.

Thats because there is a shortage.The employers will recruit those likely to stay when the economy recovers;they will also opt for diligence and discpline rather then the creative,challenging person who may question their activities.It is difficult but that does not mean it is a skilled role.

Archived