Sky broadband anyone any problems?

recently signed upto sky broad with the tv and phone

rang them up today to tell them my internet was slow, and they told me my phoneline cannot get more than 3mb no where near the upto 20mb they offer

what a waste of time and money

It's not their fault that you live a long way from the exchange mate, ADSL Broadband is dependant on how far from the exchange you are, the closer you are to the exchange, the better speed you'll get.

rang them up today to tell them my internet was slow, and they told me my phoneline cannot get more than 3mb no where near the upto 20mb they offer

what a waste of time and money

thats why they say upto, depends on the line and exchange. personally id kill for 3mb, im only on 1mb.........bet my line cant do 3mb tho :(

Did you not look into how much meg your line could support before you signed up ?

they just said it should all work fine

and it does, you are online. did your previous broadband provider give you a higher speed? the speed is something that affects everyone and due to the lose of signal on the old copper wire in the ground between you and the exchange. this is not the fault of sky.

if you want true speeds you need to go to a cable provider such as virgin who will install a new wire into your house, if they can.

one thing you may want to do is ask sky to lower the bill so one of their lower packages as you cannot use the service they are offering.

Agreed, I hate the system but this kind of report has been around on TV and in the papers for a long time.

At the end of the day, 3MB is still web worthy, ok you can't watch iplayer, skype to friends in Australia, send 20MB email attachments and play online games a the same time, but it does work (I get barely more here).

@WeX, though while I agree it's not the fault of sky, the insistent level of cheekiness and naughty advertising is, at no point will they remind you during purchase that it is only theoretical. Moral > Legal

You would think there would have been more done to make people understand how broadband Internet typically works. I bet ISPs get a lot of calls about poor speeds when it is simply down to the distance they are from their local exchange.

Archived