Sky broadband anyone any problems?

@WeX, though while I agree it's not the fault of sky, the insistent level of cheekiness and naughty advertising is, at no point will they remind you during purchase that it is only theoretical. Moral > Legal

oh I see your point but you have to understand that every customer in the uk is different and so suppliers can never tell you exactly what the speed you will get until your line has synced for a week or two.

had sky. Utter rubbish towards the end. Now switched to a telephon line and BB with plus net.

Getting 10mbs no problems. Double sky.

i hate to say but plusnet are buggers for changing their t's and c's and you will also be capped on your usage and your traffic will also be shaped at peak times. the top sky package is uncapped and unshapped.

plusnet has the same level of access to your broadband as sky and so if you have the top package from both you would not see much difference in speeds. if anything sky would be faster due to what i have said above about plusnet.

I get 20mb (yes the full amount) from the wadsley bridge exchange. This is because i am 200 metres as the crow flies, or just over 400 metres by road.

Most people will be hard pushed to get anything over 12mb on ADSL lines and i have to admit i fell lucky with this property.

That said as others have posted you should recieve an estimation of your line which is usually quite acurate, for me it was 12mb but after checking my line stats it was obvious there was room for alot more.

New initiatives by different companies should do away with these massively variable line speeds but at the moment if your going with an ADSL line you are playing the speed lottery.

3mb is better than some and good enough for general net use.

Archived