New Optio Ticket/Service

Be warned, they (SYPTE and Sheffield Council) are about to launch another pathetic Optio scheme, this time on the 52. From information that has been posted elsewhere, the 52 will become the next Optio scheme, along with the introduction of a new half-hourly nightbus service - the N52 between Woodhouse and Hillsborough. It seems they just can't leave the buses alone and have not learned their lesson since they messed up the Manor Top services back in July!!! :rant:

To save typing out what has been posted elsewhere, I'll re-post it here:

"Service provision will essentially be the same as the Orange Optio; 4 minute service Monday - Friday, 5 minute service Saturday and 10 minute Sunday daytime service between the two operators. With tickets now being interchangeable there is no need for Stagecoach to run a early morning Sunday service - hence no service before 7am from Woodhouse and 8am from Hillsborough. First will provide a 20 minute service at these times."

And also more information posted on fares.

"A bit more detail on Optio Red for the 52.

£3 Optio Red - All day saver for use on both 52 services for the day of purchase.

£9 Optio Red - All week saver for use on both 52 service for the week of purchase.

Now here is the good news, from what I have been told/informed - Sheffield wide BUS ONLY day and weekly tickets will be valid for use on both 52 services. That means you could have a Stagecoach £3.20 DayRider and use this ticket on the First 52 service and vice-versa.

This is the last that I heard on the scheme as of yesterday at work."

Read more: http://www.forum.sy-transport.co.uk/index.cgi?board=buses&action=display&thread=16201&page=27#ixzz1a687IK4T

It would appear after reading the same site, that it mentions cross-operator ticketing is to be available from next Sunday. This means a FirstWeek Sheffield priced at £17.50 can now be used on the Stagecoach 120 and vice-versa. It was also mentioned this was available for all services on Optio Orange, so if you have a Stagecoach pass, you can now use it to Birley on the 44, rather than just using the tram.

At last, a step in the right direction! Still a long way to go yet though. :rant:

Next step - bring back the 41!

It would appear after reading the same site, that it mentions cross-operator ticketing is to be available from next Sunday. This means a FirstWeek Sheffield priced at £17.50 can now be used on the Stagecoach 120 and vice-versa. It was also mentioned this was available for all services on Optio Orange, so if you have a Stagecoach pass, you can now use it to Birley on the 44, rather than just using the tram.

At last, a step in the right direction! Still a long way to go yet though. :rant:

Next step - bring back the 41!

Be warned though, First will only be accepting the bus only Stagecoach tickets, not bus and tram. Also TM Travel will not be accepting Stagecoach or First tickets.

But it is a significant improvements that addresses one of the main complaints

What's the deal with having a bus route that terminates at different places like the 120?? why aren't they different bus route numbers?

I've come across several people who have been caught out now, mainly elderly, and have had to buy a second ticket to continue their journey. My daughter got the wrong one on Sat afternoon but realised before it had set off, but the driver would not give her the fare back!!! A bit tight given she hadn't been transported anywhere and as that was her last bit of change stranded her in town until I could give her a lift. Not sure if it was SC or First

What's the deal with having a bus route that terminates at different places like the 120?? why aren't they different bus route numbers?

I've come across several people who have been caught out now, mainly elderly, and have had to buy a second ticket to continue their journey. My daughter got the wrong one on Sat afternoon but realised before it had set off, but the driver would not give her the fare back!!! A bit tight given she hadn't been transported anywhere and as that was her last bit of change stranded her in town until I could give her a lift. Not sure if it was SC or First

Couldn't agree more, or even so why not have just kept the old 40, 41 and 120 services as they were?

the current situation with the 120 and the diversion because of the wall collapse is very confusing! Basically all 120s are missing glossop road and the Hallamshire after 18:30 and only specific services that say Hallamshire Hosp running before 18:30 actually stop at the hospital.

Lots of time is wasted because people aren't aware they are getting on a turn-around service, I've seen drivers blatantly let people on only to boot them off at the hallamshire when they want to get to fulwood.

• 2 months later...

Just raised this elsewhere, but are the passenger transport executive now starting to ignore peoples comments and complaints about the Optio service. All we keep getting is this bull about how sorry they are, but nothing can be done, even though they are seriously overworked with around 2,000 complaints per month about the scheme. Are they starting to brush them under the table, or are we going to get something done about this pathetic scheme. Get the 41 back up and running again as we had before and leave our bus services alone!

Hopefully they have come to their senses now and we don't need any more of these pathetic schemes!!!

It makes me laugh some of the complaints on here given the 120 is one of the best served routes in Sheffield....

Between Crystal Peaks and University of Sheffield there is a bus every 4 minutes.

To Halfway there is a 120 bus every 8 minutes, supplemented by route 49 every half hour.

To Fulwood there is a 120 bus every 8 minutes, supplemented by route 123 every half hour.

All buses, regardless of operator, accept the same incredibly cheap tickets.

The route also serves much more of the City Centre than it used to too including the main shopping, nightlife areas and rail/coach stations.

Some of the newest buses in the city operate on the 120, and with free wi-fi too.

Sounds Awful. Nay mind, there is always the tram to Halfway...

While i agree that the buses are regular (3 at a time) none of them serve the full 41 route, if i want to go to the bottom of the moor or anywhere along Arundel gate i have to change buses.

The thing that still really bothers me is the 41 was ideal for school and College for the kids

One of the bus companies put a "41" service on in the morning but it was one bus and only one time so if you miss it youre in bother.

Also the moor is struggling at the best of times with people shopping there

So why on earth did someone think it would be a good idea to stop a regular and busy bus route that runs along side it

I think its fair to say that we can rant all we want but it seems we are ignored and its all about the money.

Archived