New Optio Ticket/Service

While i agree that the buses are regular (3 at a time) none of them serve the full 41 route, if i want to go to the bottom of the moor or anywhere along Arundel gate i have to change buses.

The thing that still really bothers me is the 41 was ideal for school and College for the kids

One of the bus companies put a "41" service on in the morning but it was one bus and only one time so if you miss it youre in bother.

Also the moor is struggling at the best of times with people shopping there

So why on earth did someone think it would be a good idea to stop a regular and busy bus route that runs along side it

I think its fair to say that we can rant all we want but it seems we are ignored and its all about the money.

If you want to go to the Moor, not that there is anything much there anymore, you have 3 choices I can think of:

1) Use Optio bus routes 42 or 44 rather than the 120, which take the route of the old 41 round town, every 10 minutes

2) Get off the 120 on West Street and walk down Fitzwilliam Street, which takes about 10 minutes.

3) The Freebee bus picks up from the 120 stop on Flat Street and will take you to the Markets, Theatres, Peace Gardens, Moorhead and Moorfoot for no extra charge!

If you want the college/schools on Granville Road then whilst the 120 doesn't go there Optio buses 42,44,49,50,50A and 53 all do and so does the tram.

Also remember one of the reasons for Optio is to reduce the number of buses on the road in places like Fulwood following protests from local residents.

And just compare what you lot on the Optio routes have compared to us in Bradway:

Stagecoach 25 - runs every 20 minutes Mon-Sat daytime, weekly ticket £10.50 valid on Stagecoach only, no evening or Sunday service, uses old buses inherited from Yorkshire Terrier. Serves Moorfoot and Arundel Gate in the City Centre.

First 25A - runs every 20 minutes Mon-Sat daytime, weekly ticket £18.50 valid on First only, no evening or Sunday service, uses buses that are the most knackered old boneshakers in Yorkshire! Serves Moorfoot and Arundel Gate in the City Centre.

First 53 - runs every 20-30 minutes, only runs evenings and Sundays, weekly ticket £18.50 valid on First only. Standard of vehicle variable. Goes longer way round than the daytime buses and serves completely different part of city centre (bus station) to daytime service. Last bus from Interchange 23:20.

TM Travel 293 - used to provide a faster journey to town every half hour Mon-Sat daytime as well as a unique link to Dronfield, Millhouses and Abbeydale Rd but has been axed after the new Stagecoach 87 bus to Lowedges stole most of its passengers.

What's the deal with having a bus route that terminates at different places like the 120?? why aren't they different bus route numbers?

I've come across several people who have been caught out now, mainly elderly, and have had to buy a second ticket to continue their journey. My daughter got the wrong one on Sat afternoon but realised before it had set off, but the driver would not give her the fare back!!! A bit tight given she hadn't been transported anywhere and as that was her last bit of change stranded her in town until I could give her a lift. Not sure if it was SC or First

Apart from the Hallamshire diversion (which there's no real way around - it's out of the bus companies hands), plenty of routes have different termini and people are savvy enough to read the destination screen to check where the bus is running to (e.g. there are some X78s which run all the way to Doncaster, some terminate at Rotherham). It's only a problem when there's actually a different *route* (when I agree that a different number is required).

While i agree that the buses are regular (3 at a time) none of them serve the full 41 route

Unless you are a bus route historian, there's little demand to travel the full route of an old service. Almost every link that was there before the change in July is still there, just with a different number in some cases (e.g. Crystal Peaks/ Manor Top to the Moor is possible on the 42/44).

Lots of other parts of Sheffield have lost their links to other places without the "outrage" we've seen about the 41 - like there used to be buses from the city centre to Bradfield or from Crookes to Holmfirth.

Or holmesfield to city had somethink like 20 buses a day not it has 1 a week , remember the current system of buses in this area is for profit so therefore USE them or loose them .

Presumably not enough people were using the bus from Halfway to the Moor, hence the changes then

Or holmesfield to city had somethink like 20 buses a day not it has 1 a week , remember the current system of buses in this area is for profit so therefore USE them or loose them .

Holmesfield to Sheffield has 2 buses a day, Mon-Sat, much better than you say... The first bus of the day at 18:30 and the last one at 20:30!

No Sheffield bus on Sundays though. (although there is a service to Halfway)

Archived