New Optio Ticket/Service

For people just going to/from town it is an improvement. The route specific promotional tickets at £3 per day or £9 per week which used to be operator specific are now valid on all 3 operators - Stagecoach, First and TM Travel so you can get on the first bus that comes - and the timetable is co-ordinated between operators to provide an even interval service:

120 Fulwood-Hallamshire every 8 minutes daytime (First only)

120 Hallamshire-Crystal Peaks every 4 minutes daytime (First & Stagecoach)

120 Crystal Peaks-Halfway every 8 minutes daytime (Stagecoach only)

42/44 City-Crystal Peaks every ? minutes daytime (First only)

49/50/50A City-Mosborough every 15 minutes daytime (First and Stagecoach)

Additionally those promotional tickets for passengers on the 49 and 123 can now be used evenings and Sundays when TM Travel operate the service instead of First/Stagecoach.

Not only the above benefits but those complaining of too many buses running in convoy now have less buses on the road!

The problem is those that change buses on journeys to/from the extremeties of the 120 where only one operator now provides the service, their travel costs have gone up, which I think is the bit that hasn't been thought through properly.

There was no point in running sixteen buses an hour to Fulwood. Maybe more 120s could run to Broomhill and Ranmoor though.

A few years ago Stagecoach (Yorkshire Terrier, as was) didn't run to Fulwood, so its not like they've been doing it for generations

one side affect of this change is that student fares to the city centre from Broomhill/Hallamshire have been withdrawn on the new first 120 service.

I know these 50p fares are very generous and this isn't the kind of this the average Sheffield Forum poster is too concerned about, but it will triple my weekly transport cost and does show how removing competition on a route may lead to higher prices!

Well they will have been empty, or with just a handful of passengers on given it is the terminus. You're not going to get a full bus in just 3 - 6 short distance bus stops along Crimicar Lane are you... :roll:

Thanks for pointing that out - how very stupid of me.:loopy:

Most of them stay empty all the way to town too during the day....

Whilst clogging up the roads...and overtaking each other to try and pinch the few fares there are

I am all for this.

Even better would be to make them every 15 mins during the day between say 10 AM and 14:30 PM and I dont think many would complain of over full buses.

one side affect of this change is that student fares to the city centre from Broomhill/Hallamshire have been withdrawn on the new first 120 service.

I know these 50p fares are very generous and this isn't the kind of this the average Sheffield Forum poster is too concerned about, but it will triple my weekly transport cost and does show how removing competition on a route may lead to higher prices!

Don't forget you still have the 52, 241 and 242 from Broomhill that do student offers.

They have not been withdrawn, infact the 50p fare is now valid along the entire route.

Optio Orange Network Day Add On ticket – Allows Optio Day ticket holders, purchased on First and Stagecoach buses along the Optio Orange network, to upgrade to a First or Stagecoach Sheffield day ticket for 50p. Both tickets have to be presented together for journeys outside of the Optio Orange network. Add Ons are available for anyone who can’t buy the day ticket of their choice on the first bus they travel on (such as someone in Fulwood wanting a Stagecoach day ticket or someone in Halfway wanting a First day ticket). It is important to note that the Add On ticket is only available on another operators' bus. i.e. if an Optio Orange ticket is purchased on a First bus an Add On ticket can be purchased only on a Stagecoach bus and vice versa.

I love the way how they want us all to get out of the cars and onto the buses, but in this process pull off buses from the route and also remove the options available so all buses have to follow the same route, rather than running around to The Moor or Peace Gardens as before. Not everyone wants to go down into town from Hacekenthorpe on the 120. Why not have left it as the 41 and 120 services, which could have complimented each other?

Is there really any bus passengers on here that would moan about too many buses been on their route? To me its more conveniant and if this is available with options for different travel patterns and destinations then it should take a large number of cars off the road in the process.

SYPTE and the council have gone about this the total wrong way and have made a right **** up. Not heard one person around here who is happy about this scheme, most are actually quite frustrated, none more so since the 41 has been around for over 70 years, where as the 120 has only been going since de-regulation in the late 80s!!!

Archived