Mcdonalds admits defeat in Israel

McDonald's withdraws McFalafel from Israeli restaurants

Burger chain says its version of the Middle Eastern vegetarian street food has not worked

It is the standard fast food across the Middle East: balls of ground chickpeas tossed into vats of sizzling oil and served with pickles and salads inside a pitta bread.

But the ubiquitous family-owned falafel street stalls and small cafes faced a challenge earlier this year when McDonald's introduced the "McFalafel", the global burger chain's own version of the Middle East staple, in all its Israeli restaurants.

Now, in a rare admission of defeat, it is withdrawing the McFalafel, saying it was an experiment that did not work.

"We realised that falafel doesn't belong in McDonald's," Omri Padan, chief executive of McDonald's Israel told the news website Ynet. "We wanted a vegetarian dish … but it didn't succeed. The falafel dish is gradually being removed from the restaurants."

In a branch in West Jerusalem, the McFalafel was still on the menu on Tuesday, priced at 16.90 shekels (£3). Customers occasionally ordered it, said one server, although most preferred burgers.

Around the corner all three tables in Falafel Doron, a family-owned cafe open for 20 years, were taken. Dennis Kuchak, visiting Israel from Australia, said the idea of a McDonald's version of falafel did not appeal. "I wouldn't dream of eating it. McDonald's is a burger place," he said.

The Taylor family from Hertfordshire, in Jerusalem for a party, insisted they would only ever patronise a "traditional" falafel outlet. "It's street food, not pre-packaged," said Howard Taylor, ordering another plate of chips. "It's meant to taste like it's been cooked in the back room."

Doron, the cafe's proprietor, said he had tried a McFalafel and admitted it was good. Better than his own? "I don't know," he said. "McDonald's is McDonald's."

Falafel is thought to have originated in Egypt, although Israel now claims it as a national dish.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jul/12/mcdonalds-withdraws-mcfalafel-israeli-restaurants

oh well never mind. I guess they can always try McCurry or McNoodle in India and China and see what happens.

after all I believe they serve tagliatelle in Mcdonalds in Italy and rice in the Philippines and they do OK on it.

Not surprised it flopped in Israel, way to much well established traditional competition. Why don't they ship any surplus stock over here. I'd just about kill for one, so delicious and hard to find in Sheffield. Are you listening Ronald?

It's a bit of a non-story though, isn't it. The McDs restaurants haven't been forced to close. They just took an item that wasn't selling off the menu. Kind of like how the McRib was trialled as a permanent item on the menus over here a good few years back, but got removed after sales dwindled to nought...or the Mega Mac...or....the list could go on.

Effectively it is just, "Business stops selling something that didn't sell!"

McFelafel is on Egyptian Mcdonald's menus and has been since 2001. They also have McShwarma. Seems like the Israeli customers better understand that you're better off just walking fifty meters to somewhere else if you want to eat this kind of food. They're also going to be less in thrall to the 'aspirational' nature of Mcdonald's that you find in developing countries, less so in richer ones.

Not surprised it flopped in Israel, way to much well established traditional competition. Why don't they ship any surplus stock over here. I'd just about kill for one, so delicious and hard to find in Sheffield. Are you listening Ronald?

Go to the Greedy Greek stall (opposite Primark/Argos) - they do delicious wraps with falafel / pork / hoummus / halloumi - whatever combination you like...yum yum!

KatieB, Angel Street area you mean? Cheers, I'll be on my way :-)

Oh and CXC3000, when I was in Israel I was an outsider and was treated with respect and courtesy by the Israelis. Got pestered a bit in Arab towns (Nazareth/Bethlehem/Jaffa) but I was expecting that, so it didn't bother me.

KatieB, Angel Street area you mean? Cheers, I'll be on my way :-)

Oh and CXC3000, when I was in Israel I was an outsider and was treated with respect and courtesy by the Israelis. Got pestered a bit in Arab towns (Nazareth/Bethlehem/Jaffa) but I was expecting that, so it didn't bother me.

Sort of yep - it's a round building on the corner by Castle Square tram stop. I think they are owned by the same people who have a deli on Eccy Rd: http://www.thegreedygreekdeli.co.uk/

I used to walk back from Ponds Forge at lunch & undo all my good work in the gym! :roll:

Their halloumi is the tastiest I've ever eaten! :love:

Archived