Finding Russian artist

Years ago at school I remember reading about a Russian artist (symbolic imagery bordering on the surreal?), but I cannot remember who he was, only his work was brilliant.

I think his surname began with a 'K', but I once searched through a list of the works of 'K' artists and didn't find his work.

He suffered extreme poverty in his youth and his father was very abusive, hence his art being rather sad and expressive.

One image which I remember, was himself as a boy inside a large conker, with the thorns inverted into him?

Does anyone have any ideas?

The only two pieces of artwork I can remember are rather sad images (painting, etching etc?) of himself as a boy-

- One inside a conker with inverted thorns,

- The other at the meagre dinner table with his father breathing fire at him.

Have you looked for Russian artists on wikipedia? Something there mightjog your memory when you see the list of names?

I have, no 'K's spring out at me, but there's so many altogether to browse through that I might end up not being that confident with a 'K' surname!

I think I'll consign this one to the world of memories!

Archived