Should parents be able to claim child benefit till their children reach 35?

Should parents be able to claim child benefit till their cihldren reach 35?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Should parents be able to claim child benefit till their cihldren reach 35?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know
    • The poor sods are only trying to inherit a council tenancy...

Should parents be able to claim child benefit till their cihldren reach 35?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2014121/1-4-graduates-lives-parents-handle-hardship-independent-life.html

More than a quarter of this year’s university graduates are expected to move back in with their parents after completing their studies.

Nearly the same proportion of them end up unemployed.

Housing benefit is lower for under 25s, only enough is paid for them to live in HMOs, this will soon change to make under 35s live in HMOs too. This age based financial discrimination has normally been reserved for children.

Under 35s are being treat like children.

Surely their parents should be able to claim child benefit for them...

I can see a flaw, technically you are not a child at 35 years old, although thanks to the nanny government - perhaps we are.

I think it highlights a more serious problem, in the sense that going to work does not pay a living wage.

I accept people will say "well I saved up.....or.....this generation want everything", however in the defence of todays 20 somethings, you can't buy your first property for around £25,000 (as I did back in the year 2000).

We are also talking about graduate, so what chance do the kids have who did not go to university, and there only work is work that pays the minimum wage?

We need to look at how Labour allowed a situation to get to this, how is work so financially unviable and being a drunken, druggie smackhead comes with so many rewards?

TO redress the balance, benefits need to be cut to the equivalent of £9000 a year maximum, this would force down the rental market, and potentially crash the housing market.

While a crash would not be good for homeowners, it would give todays 20somthings a chance

Archived