Planking - What's the crack?

Just been on my brother's facebook and have seen lots of his friends taking pictures of themselves in odd places laid flat with their hands by their sides. After looking it up on Google, I've seen it's called planking and is a popular fad. I don't understand why people do this, I mean is it really that exciting. In Australia it was quite popular, but the prime minister banned it due to someone falling from the 7th floor of a building while doing it. I can think of hobbies which would be more fun!

Just been on my brother's facebook and have seen lots of his friends taking pictures of themselves in odd places laid flat with their hands by their sides. After looking it up on Google, I've seen it's called planking and is a popular fad. I don't understand why people do this, I mean is it really that exciting. In Australia it was quite popular, but the prime minister banned it due to someone falling from the 7th floor of a building while doing it. I can think of hobbies which would be more fun!

It was started by sardines and pilchards way back-the Australians love it because it is the next best thing to surfing on land.Its big on the Pacific coast and Cornwall too

Oh dear-do you think firworks should be added for fun,with Girls Aloud and Celine Dion battling for the PA system?

Fireworks definitely!

Girls Aloud and Celine would make it worse though. :)

Hehe I didn't need you to tell me that I already knew. I just don't get why this is so popular when it's obviously so strange

I think it tends to be middle class/uni types trying to be a bit "zany". I also imagine the people planking will use the word random to describe things that clearly aren't random. It will go the way of extreme ironing.

That said when I first heard about free running I thought it was a joke.

"So people don't have bikes or skateboards or rollerblades, they just jump over things?"

I didn't quite get that but I can't see planking having the same lasting appeal or depths to it to sustain it.

I think the idea is not so much getting a pic of yourself being a plank, but doing so in the background of someone else's photo without them realising. That's the aim of the game I believe.

It's harmless fun.

I read an article the other day that "planking" is not only a bit daft but is offensive aswell. Apparently "planking" as a term refers to the way black African slaves were transported on slave ships, basically "fastened in" somehow in a laid down position with very little room in order to pack more bodies in so that's where it's origins are although I doubt anyone that does it has a clue so I'm not having a go just thought it was quite interesting!

Archived