Planking - What's the crack?

I read an article the other day that "planking" is not only a bit daft but is offensive aswell. Apparently "planking" as a term refers to the way black African slaves were transported on slave ships, basically "fastened in" somehow in a laid down position with very little room in order to pack more bodies in so that's where it's origins are although I doubt anyone that does it has a clue so I'm not having a go just thought it was quite interesting!

I thought the origin was from the core strength exercise, the plank.

I think its just for a giggle, and I must admit I jumped on the bandwagon tonight. I thought the idea was to either do it in the strangest place you can think of, but reading up I think the idea is to do it where there are interesting objects - i.e the Eiffel Tower, just to kind of say "look at me i'm here, but I'd much rather be planking than paying attention to the scenery!"

I'm still non the wiser but it is funny!

I thought planking came and went ages ago? How come there are loads of "celebrities" starting to do it now? Are they just late on the bandwagon?

it did, i did it in benidorm 2-3 years ago, the ausies are a little behind the itme, but they have re-invented it, when the uk started doing it it was called the laying down game,

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Laying-Down-Game/130670720066

now its planking,

In Australia it was quite popular, but the prime minister banned it due to someone falling from the 7th floor of a building while doing it. I can think of hobbies which would be more fun!

So it's illegal to lie down with your hands by your side in Australia? Is it illegal to go to bed then, or die for that matter?

How on earth can you fall 7 storeys whilst laying in a prone position!? :huh:

it did, i did it in benidorm 2-3 years ago, the ausies are a little behind the itme, but they have re-invented it, when the uk started doing it it was called the laying down game,

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Laying-Down-Game/130670720066

now its planking,

I have just looked at the link and have one question: Why?

So it's illegal to lie down with your hands by your side in Australia? Is it illegal to go to bed then, or die for that matter?

How on earth can you fall 7 storeys whilst laying in a prone position!? :huh:

You try to do it balanced on the balcony railing.

And no, it hasn't been banned, how could it be.

Archived