Regional Variations for Words / Phrases

Good job that she's not a Cardiac surgeon, then.

Why the capital C for Cardiac?

And FYI cardiac surgeons do not usually remove hearts, they mend them.

But at least we are agreed about 'bread' and 'cake' not being tautologous after all. Fancy you being put right by someone from Sheffield Hallam, which according to you isn't even a real university at all! :gag:

After just being on another forum, and see a user asking for advice about having their arm put in a 'pot' it got me thinking. No one else seemed to know what they meant (it's a national forum).

I'm originally from Manchester and before moving to Sheffield I'd never heard of it referred to as a pot before. I'd only heard of a 'cast'.

Also, within a week of moving here, I went into a chippy and asked for a 'chip barm'. The girl behind the counter had no idea what I was on about until I pointed to said 'barm cake' on display and she said, "Oh, you want chips on a bread cake?'.

I don't know who was more confused.... me or her. She looked at me like I'd gone out.

Oh, that's another one..... 'like I'd gone out' that I hadn't heard before I moved here!

What other phrases or words are used for things here that are regional? (I should say, I've been here 6 years now so am slowly picking things up!)

When I was a kid in Scotland, someone with a plastercast would be said to have a 'stookie' on their leg. Lord knows where that one came from.

I've been in Yorkshire over 40 years, but I still think of rolls as rolls, not breadcakes, teacakes, barm cakes or buns. And if you want lemonade in my part of Scotland, best ask for 'plain' lemonade. All pop is called lemonade. :huh:

Fish and chips is a fish supper, likewise pie (or 'peh' in the vernacular) suppers, white pudding suppers etc. For those who don't know about white puddings, they are a savoury oatmeal and onion treat, yum.

I had oatcakes recently in Cheshire, but they were soft and you ear them warm wrapped around a filling. I always thought an oatcake was more like a biscuit, but with a cardboard sort of texture. :confused:

Archived