Can B T do this?

Ok I called B T to cancel my land line and was told that I had to pay cencelation charges of £70,they said as I was on a rolling contract I was now on a new 12 month contract as of ringing them today ?

Funny how they never told me this when I first signed up and I was under the impression that once the initial 12 months was up I could cancel anytime without any fees,just goes to show its never easy to just leave them.

I'm not too sure but I left BT after 12 months no problem. I'm unsure as to how this worked because I moved internet service provider but they still used the BT line yet I paid less.

You need a copy of the original contract where it states the contract is auto-renewed.

My advice: take it as £70 well spent to get rid of them.

Ok I called B T to cancel my land line and was told that I had to pay cencelation charges of £70,they said as I was on a rolling contract I was now on a new 12 month contract as of ringing them today ?

Funny how they never told me this when I first signed up and I was under the impression that once the initial 12 months was up I could cancel anytime without any fees,just goes to show its never easy to just leave them.

Talk Talk tried the same thing with me I just told them to depart in a funny manner and cancelled the DD.

I had a similar experience a few years ago when I left BT, they tried to charge me a disconnection fee but only *after* I said I was going to another operator.

Before saying why I was leaving, there was no fee, it was only when they asked why I was leaving and I said I was going elsewhere did the need for a fee appear. I complained to OFCOM by phone and within 20 minutes I had a call from a senior BT executive, who apologised for the "misunderstanding" and said I didn't need to pay any fee.

I dunno if the circumstances are the same, I don't recall having a rolling contract, it was a long time ago.

My advice: take it as £70 well spent to get rid of them.

Indeed.

I once had problems with BT trying to get some money back they kept saying they couldn't do it or it would be sorted for next month and never was. I rang Ofcom and as with the other poster had a call from someone at BT saying it would be sorted ASAP, and it was. Just goes to show that once the regulator becomes involved they can do something. Also I didn't think they could just do a rolling contract without informing you it was up for renewal, I have one for my house insurance but they have to notify me 30 days before the start date.

BT 'hijacked' our laptops once. I was late paying the bill and our computers wouldn't access the internet even via the mobile dongle. I immediately transferred to Sky and gave BT what for. They tried to charge me something like £30 to cancel but I told them to go forth and multiply. Every now and again they send me a final demand, I send it them back!

BT 'hijacked' our laptops once. I was late paying the bill and our computers wouldn't access the internet even via the mobile dongle. I immediately transferred to Sky and gave BT what for. They tried to charge me something like £30 to cancel but I told them to go forth and multiply. Every now and again they send me a final demand, I send it them back!

They dont give up then do they.:hihi:

Its ok just checked on Ofcom site and the cancelation charge is £2.50 per month of remaining contract,the lying cow at BT is trying to con people.:mad:

Did you give them a call back and tell 'em ?

Archived