Reasonably price oath required

I need to find an officer authorised to administer an oath for a statutory declaration I need to make, preferably one who doesn't charge the earth.

People who can do this are usually notary publics, solicitors, magistrates, commisioners for oaths and several others.

I've made several enquiries so far so please don't point me at Google as I've already looked.

I have the statement I need witnessed, I can provide passport, birth certificate and other documents for proof of identity, all I need is for someone qualified to witness it and retain a copy.

However they all want to charge me the thick end of £100 for witnessing a document, personally I think this is a teensy bit extortionate for the service rendered, I did something similar several years ago before I moved to Sheffield and paid less than £15, it's not that complicated a procedure.

So has anyone got any personal recommendations for reasonably priced people I can contact.

In case anyone was wondering why this is a dear forum, for people who know me there's enough information in what has been posted to identify me and I'd rather that didn't happen.

I would just call into the solicitors in paradise square- i know there would be plenty of people willing to do it for FAR less than the £100 you have been quoted!

£10/20 is about right for witnessing a document.

I need to find an officer authorised to administer an oath for a statutory declaration I need to make, preferably one who doesn't charge the earth.

People who can do this are usually notary publics, solicitors, magistrates, commisioners for oaths and several others.

I've made several enquiries so far so please don't point me at Google as I've already looked.

I have the statement I need witnessed, I can provide passport, birth certificate and other documents for proof of identity, all I need is for someone qualified to witness it and retain a copy.

However they all want to charge me the thick end of £100 for witnessing a document, personally I think this is a teensy bit extortionate for the service rendered, I did something similar several years ago before I moved to Sheffield and paid less than £15, it's not that complicated a procedure.

AND the fees are unchanged since 1993! See http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1993/2297/contents/made

So has anyone got any personal recommendations for reasonably priced people I can contact.

In case anyone was wondering why this is a dear forum, for people who know me there's enough information in what has been posted to identify me and I'd rather that didn't happen.

Er, the fee is fixed BY LAW at £5 per item signed/witnessed and £2 per exhibit (supplementary document signed to authenticate).

AND the fees are unchanged from 1993! See http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1993/2297/contents/made

Archived