Could you tell me bad things about Sheffield?

I think it really depends on your personality. I know a few glitzy city slickers who'd hate living in Sheffield (in fact, they say so when they visit) yet the majority of people I know that have moved to Sheffield in recent years have overwhelmingly been positive.

If I ever get invited on to Room 101 I'm going to put 'people who post on recently revived old threads and reply to the OP who probably left Sheffieldforum 3 years ago rather than the new poster who revived the thread'.

Anyway, to the thread reviver who said there was nothing to do after 6 - stores and cafes etc. in UK city centres do tend to close early and apart from maybe London, the UK doesn't have the 24 hour culture that you might find in other parts of the world but there is still loads to do until late (just not 2am late)

I moved to Sheffield for work for nearly a year, and it was one of the worst places I have ever lived.

Normally, wherever I go, I make friends easily. However, I never had more than a few casual acquaintances at the local bars . When I went out, I found Sheffield people difficult to approach and quite insular.

There wasn't much to do outside work. Nearly everything was shut down by 6pm. The city centre is very small. I didn't have fun at any of the clubs. The weekends were a drag if I stayed in Sheffield. Sometimes I would go to London to break the monotony.

It was really a bad experience living in Sheffield. It might be better if you are a student. Though I don't think it's a great student town either. It's pretty much dead most nights.

Yet here you are signing up and posting to the website of such an unfriendly city?! :suspect:

I moved to Sheffield for work for nearly a year, and it was one of the worst places I have ever lived.

Normally, wherever I go, I make friends easily. However, I never had more than a few casual acquaintances at the local bars . When I went out, I found Sheffield people difficult to approach and quite insular.

There wasn't much to do outside work. Nearly everything was shut down by 6pm. The city centre is very small. I didn't have fun at any of the clubs. The weekends were a drag if I stayed in Sheffield. Sometimes I would go to London to break the monotony.

It was really a bad experience living in Sheffield. It might be better if you are a student. Though I don't think it's a great student town either. It's pretty much dead most nights.

WHERE are you going and who are you hanging out with??

I dont club any more as I'm too old and the only one that really fit my tastes was Corp, but again I'm too old as I'm over the age of 25...

Loads of different pubs and places to eat... Gigs are always on (really there always something on for everyone tastes between the Arenas pop events to the Queens Rd Social Club hipstertastic gigs) as well as comedy at the city hall and more. We have a city wide festivals as well...

Not sure what you're looking for, but maybe you need to dig deeper to find what you want? I used to live in the NYC area and always had to search for something that suited me and my particular tastes. I find Sheffield suits me well.

I love that you revived this old thread, LoveNCuddles, but sorry that Sheffield hasn't been what you were hoping for. It also makes me wonder what happened to the OP. Does anyone know if he moved to Sheffs?

We never had as bad a time as LNC, but when we first moved here in the mid-90s, it was hard to find our feet. We were living in Totley, which was beautiful countryside, but people kept to themselves, and it made us feel lonely and isolated.

Later we moved closer to town, and once we moved we knew more people in the first six months than we had in Totley in 10+ years.

Nothing against Totley. Some of our best friends we met there, and for other people it might be just the opposite. But it's worth noting that it's a big city with a lot of different neighbourhoods and amenities. It can take a while to find what's right for you. For us it was finding the right neighbourhood, a good place to volunteer and play music, and a couple of places to hang out in the evenings that matched our taste.

Hope you find your Sheffield soon, LNC, and that it's as lovely place as our is for us.